Did you mean: 

Cryptic messages

Amy3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I've been trying to set up my bank account for OTP texts and they've told me I may need to enable cryptic texts as I'm not receiving any OTP codes, does anyone know how to allow cryptic texts to come through?

Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I think they are having you on wink

but if they are serious, it will be somthing account side so you'll need to call customer services.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody’s playing a joke on you I think 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amy3

Exceedingly early April Fool's gag that one.

Doesn't sound like a serious bank to me.

Message 4 of 10

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Amy3 and all, just checking on our end too just in case there's any info around this that we can find that might explain what your bank had told you. slight_smile 

Message 5 of 10

Amy3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all,

Thank you for all your comments! At least from here I've had a better response, I'm still waiting for the bank to explain why it's not working!

If it's any help, I bank with Santander. I am starting to think I'm being taken for a ride by Santander! 😕
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Hi @Amy3 

Not sure if it helps, but I found this on their website:

First check in Online Banking that your alerts are set up to go to the correct number. If this is correct then please call our helpdesk on 0800 917 9170. Lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays.
View call charges

If you would like to change your registered mobile number or email address, you can do so by:

• using Online Banking, go to the ‘Alerts’ button on the left hand menu

• visiting your local branch

• calling us on 0800 9 123 123 (lines open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 9pm Sundays)

Don't forget, if you're updating your mobile number for Account Alerts, you’ll also need to register your new number in case we need to send you a One Time Passcode for an Online Banking transaction.

• Go to the 'My Details and Settings' tab

• Go to the 'Change OTP service phone number' link

• You will be asked to confirm any changes you make

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Marjo 

I think it might be "encrypted" text messaging that we need here, not "cryptic" though?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Marjo 

I think it might be "encrypted" text messaging that we need here, not "cryptic" though?

The sounds more sensible!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting here for @Amy3. slight_smile

It's a bit difficult to say without more information, but having checked in general on our end, it could be the banking app may need certain protocols that only a specific app from the bank could provide. Another thing that came to mind is on a Samsung phone where you can block sending chargeable texts that may in some cases interfere.

You mentioned you were still waiting for clarifications from your bank @Amy3. I'll drop you a PM here on the forum shortly as we'd like to help in the meantime just to check over your account to see if anything can be identified on our end more specifically.

Message 10 of 10