Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to WiFi Extra after update to Android 12

Jelle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yesterday I installed the OTA update of Android 12 on my OnePlus 8T. One of the things that broke by that update, is connecting to the WiFi Extra network in the underground.

Before the update it always connected automatically (i.e. it was set up correctly), but after the update it didn't connect anymore. When I try to connect manually, I get shown a confusing screen with WiFi settings where I need to enter a password. I'm assuming that this is the configuration that used to be set up automatically, but has somehow been erased with the Android 12 update. How can I get this set up again?

I'll make a screenshot of the configuration screen next time I'm on the underground.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35212 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Others reporting same on OnePlus forum, @Jelle 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-wifi-after-os-12-update.1574236/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-internet-after-upgrade-to-android-12.1576568/

Take a look there to see if there is any guidance on backing-out the OTA update is all I can suggest, as some report Mobile Data also affected.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Android 12 has a bug in it which affects EAP-TLS wifi connections, and lots of Enterprises reporting this to Google as it is also breaking Enterprise WiFi and affects all manufacturers... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 14

pgn
  • 35212 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Thanks, @madasaf1sh - explains why I first saw this late last year on Pixel 6 forums. Not sure if the change is to address a security issue, but clearly the change needs to be addressed in the device as well as the access point, which makes orchestrating the change challenging...

Message 4 of 14

madasaf1sh
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Nothing to do with the access points, it is solely on the devices... @pgn  As this bug only affects Android 11 (some) and 12 not good for user experience.. 

We have to tell people to use an iPhone or Android 10 😞 

Message 5 of 14

pgn
  • 35212 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

tell people to use an iPhone

The shame... 🤣

Root certs also in that mix. Meh.

Message 6 of 14

madasaf1sh
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Don't get me started on Certs, and AP's we have just discovered a Cisco bug, on some of their AP's and its a good un' ;( 

Message 7 of 14

Jelle
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As promised, here's a screenshot of the "Enter Password" screen I'm getting. Had to take a photo of it as the screen in question doesn't allow one to take a screenshot of it (facepalm). Does this screen align with the errors you've seen, @pgn and @madasaf1sh?

PXL_20220512_192859482_3.jpg

@pgn wrote:

Others reporting same on OnePlus forum, @Jelle 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-wifi-after-os-12-update.1574236/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-internet-after-upgrade-to-android-12.1576568/

The first one seems to be reporting no wifi connection is possible at all, so not sure if related.

The second one is reporting no carrier data connection. Fortunately, carrier data is working fine for me

@madasaf1sh wrote:

Android 12 has a bug in it which affects EAP-TLS wifi connections

Do we know that the WiFi Extra network is EAP-TLS? I see "EAP Method" in the screenshot, but not sure if that also implies TLS. It says PEAP, does that imply not TLS? (not a networking expert, so apologies for dumb questions)

Message 8 of 14

madasaf1sh
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

From that screen shot it is using EAP-PEAP, which is what the AP is negotiating with the Access Point. 

PEAP means an encrypted channel is created before asking for the password or other authentication data, and it requires a Server side certificate

EAP-PEAP is similar to EAP-TLS... 

I have logged bugs with both Cisco, Samsung and Google as part of my work in enterprises as many others have done...

Message 9 of 14

SoulfulLady
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any update? 

Message 10 of 14