cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Australia visit for one month whats best to do on Samsung Galaxy III Pay Monthly unlimited ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am in Oz for one month.  I have turned off my data roaming.  But how do I get the best out of using my phone for calls whilst here as in calling oz numbers and calling home to the UK.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also for when I get back what are folks views on the International and "CallMe tariff". Bearing in mind my daughter who lives in Oz is in a new housing estate that wont have landline till 2014!!!

Thanks guys.

BungleBoo.  

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was in South Africa I used local wifi and used Google video to speak with home. Whatsapp for texting and picture messages and I bought a payg sim for over there.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146961 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'd use "Skype"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

A big bank balance Smiley LOL

Seriously though, get yourself a local sim which allows international calls and make sure your phone is unlocked. Or get a dual sim phone if you are going to be frequenting Australia a lot.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I got a local Sim but had not checked first and the phone is locked!! DER!.  I was quoted $60 to unlock it over here. Is that the only way? Or should O2, who I bought the phone from be able to unlock it for free? 

Skype is being used dont worry. !!  As a 40 minute phone call cost me over £27! 

I appreciate all your comments tho. 

Cheers

BungleBoo

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93271 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

O2 should be able to unlock it for you but it usually takes 7-10 days. Worth filling in the form though as it's free on contract.

How do I unlock my phone so it can be used on other networks? | Support | O2

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was in South Africa I used local wifi and used Google video to speak with home. Whatsapp for texting and picture messages and I bought a payg sim for over there.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also as you are only there for a month I would by a cheap and cheerful payg phone which will be cheaper than $60 and you will probably get a $10 top up free.

Message 7 of 7