cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G access at no extra charge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last week I received a text message telling me that from 27 June I was given 4G access at no extra charge.

On looking in My O2, Bolt Ons section, I can see 4G access and that it is free and is active and has no end date.

Although 4G is not in my area yet. I was wondering if I will need a new sim card, so that I can receive 4G when in a 4G coverage area?

I have an iPhone 5s.

Message 1 of 42
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

If your SIM does not already have 4G printed on it you will need to pick up a 4G one, easiest way is to visit an O2 store where they can initiate the SIM swap there and then. slight_smile

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

If your SIM does not already have 4G printed on it you will need to pick up a 4G one, easiest way is to visit an O2 store where they can initiate the SIM swap there and then. slight_smile

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 2 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Fatboy

I had to change my sim card too. All the ones being given out now are 4G compliant.

If your on contract you should take some ID with you just incase.
Message 3 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for the help both of you's, appeciate it slight_smile

Just popped my sim card out now, and it does not have 4G printed on it. So I'll need to pop in the O2 Store for a new sim and sim swap.

The sim card thats in my iPhone 5s, I first got it when I got my iPhone 5, so its not one of the latest sim cards.

Thanks again slight_smile

Message 4 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144370 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
The number on the sim card will start 4GGP if it is a 4G compliant sim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you hit a 4G area I'm fairly confident your gonna be blown away.

slight_smile
Message 6 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
The number on the sim card will start 4GGP if it is a 4G compliant sim.

Mine starts 000.

On the side edge of the sim is 4F1, but theres no 4GGP shown on the sim card.

Message 7 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you run through the O2 4G Setup Assistant it should tell you if you need a new SIM or not.

I used LiveChat to request a new SIM and it went great, as documented here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-do-I-order-a-new-4G-SIM/td-p/688739 

Message 8 of 42

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions
Message 9 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you run through the O2 4G Setup Assistant it should tell you if you need a new SIM or not.

I used LiveChat to request a new SIM and it went great, as documented here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-do-I-order-a-new-4G-SIM/td-p/688739 

Thanks very much for the link PapaDug.

It tells me that I need a compatable 4G sim, and the instructions on how to obtain one. I'll pop into my local O2 Store and get one.

Thanks everyone for all the help, appreciate it slight_smile

Message 10 of 42