cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G access at no extra charge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last week I received a text message telling me that from 27 June I was given 4G access at no extra charge.

On looking in My O2, Bolt Ons section, I can see 4G access and that it is free and is active and has no end date.

Although 4G is not in my area yet. I was wondering if I will need a new sim card, so that I can receive 4G when in a 4G coverage area?

I have an iPhone 5s.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enjoy 4G in the areas you can. 

slight_smile

Message 11 of 42

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Do let us know how you get on with it Fatboy.

@Aldaweb, I'm not sure why its blocked either. I'll see if I can find out.

@PapaDUg, thanks for including the SetupAssistant link. I'm almost inclined to include your thread in the guide list. Even though its not a guide, it shows lots of info and a nice journey from question to solution slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 12 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Toby, if you're going to use it in the guide list then feel free to remove my posts where I'm having a moan about the service in my local O2 Store wink

Glad I could help FatBoy! I hope you get the chance to experience 4G more than I have so far haha!

I'm not sure what happened with that link either! I think I found the topic via my profile and copied it from there. Weird! I've just done it again, so lets see if this works: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-do-I-order-a-new-4G-SIM/td-p/688739

Edit: yup, same address and everything and its working for me just now :S Weird!

Message 13 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:
Do let us know how you get on with it Fatboy.

Yeah will do. Probably try and get into the O2 Store tomorrow (if it isnt too busy) or sometime next week.

Message 14 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to update:

Just been in the O2 store now and got my sim replaced with a 4G compatible one. Like was mentioned earlier, the 4G ones have 4GGP on them, the one I was given has got this on.

Literally took a couple of minutes to do the sim swap. So I'm already for when (or if) 4G reaches my neck of the woods slight_smile
Message 15 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome.

Good when things run smoothly

Enjoy. wink
Message 16 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Enjoy 4G in the areas you can. 

slight_smile

Do you have a microscope to find any 4G enabled areas? o2 are certainly not in any rush to roll out 4G in the UK.

Only a few privileged areas have it. 

I live in Reading, Berks. A large town 40 miles from London & it is certainly not here despite it being a very large commecial town. More often than not we are lucky even to get a 3G signal, only a standard GPRS signal.

And this is what o2 sold their broadband & phone service for? To concentrate on rolling out 4G, we can live in hope. 

Message 18 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Despite O2's coverage promise by the year plonk, I for one, am disappointed at the speed of the rollout. Being 10 miles from Manchester in a major town I would have thought 4G would have reached Bolton by now slight_frown

....and it's not imminent in the coming months!

Message 19 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
4g? One should be so lucky. Many of us still SUFFER with 2g or, in the county I live in Large swathes withNO SIGNAL.
Message 20 of 42