cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using N8 "pay as you go" mobile in Borneo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,   I'm planning to take a trip to Borneo early next year and I would like to use my Nokia N8 to make calls and maybe send picture messages to the UK (and access the internet). I use "pay & go" with automatic top-up at home but I would be happy to buy a suitable package for travelling.

Does anyone know the best way to achieve the above (or if it is possible)?

Thanks.

Ron C.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

O2 don't do a package for international travel unfortunately. Much better to get a local sim if you're phone is unlocked. Use wifi wherever possible and think about installing whatsapp on your phone.You can use this on wifi as long as your family and friends have it installed too.

If you need to use your normal sim card then it will work out very expensive unless you can find wifi.

Standard Rates

Our Pay & Go customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in:  Indonesia     Calling:  

Landlines99p
Mobiles£1.49

Receiving calls99p
Sending texts49p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

O2 don't do a package for international travel unfortunately. Much better to get a local sim if you're phone is unlocked. Use wifi wherever possible and think about installing whatsapp on your phone.You can use this on wifi as long as your family and friends have it installed too.

If you need to use your normal sim card then it will work out very expensive unless you can find wifi.

Standard Rates

Our Pay & Go customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in:  Indonesia     Calling:  

Landlines99p
Mobiles£1.49

Receiving calls99p
Sending texts49p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
or get a satellite phone. I can't imagine much in the way of phone reception in the jungle slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks jonsie, wifi will suit me fine. I have found that loctions I am staying at in Borneo all have a wifi facility - even at the jungle lodge!
I have downloaded whatsapp and will try this interesting app as soon as friends/family have it too.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5, I think wifi should cover most of my needs - even the jungle lodge is equipped.:smileyhappy:

I know nothing about satellite phones but it conjures up images of a satellite dish in a wheelbarrow plus a mobile phone interface box all powered by a car battery! (Absurd imagination no doubt):smileyvery-happy:

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I like the sound of that slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks MI5, I think wifi should cover most of my needs - even the jungle lodge is equipped.:smileyhappy:

I know nothing about satellite phones but it conjures up images of a satellite dish in a wheelbarrow plus a mobile phone interface box all powered by a car battery! (Absurd imagination no doubt):smileyvery-happy:

Love it!

Let us know how your trip goes, enjoy it:smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We will of course expect a selection of pictures from Borneo when you get back! Smiley Very Happy

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 8