cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Friday morning I turned my phone on but noticed the screen was not displaying properly and there was a crack on the screen.  

I contacted 02 customer services explaining circumstances and in no way had I damaged it myself (took photos for evidence proving no physical evidence of damage to phone) and arranged for phone to be sent to repair centre. I was also told that the phone had a twelve month warranty in which I purchased handset in April 2015.

I had to pay for tracked service as 02 free delivery postage not tracked so wanted to ensure it arrived safely.

Anyway got an e-mail today from  o2 mycare telling me that unfortunately the handset is deemed out of warranty due to CRACKED LCD SCREEN ? And that it would cost me £85.99 for a full repair.

There was no proof or explanation of any sort what caused it but I am aware that there have been issues regarding this make and model regarding problems with the screen.

I today contacted customer services asking for details and what evidence they have to back-up their findings but none could be given and spent nearly an hour trying to explain that if I had damaged it myself, I would have not wasted my time sending it back and taken it somewhere local for repair as I have no insurance.

I then got passed to Samsung who said that they could not help me as o2 repair centre have my mobile handset.

I feel pretty upset with the customer services provided and wanted to know if the matter could be taken further or what Consumer rights I have to avoid the additional expense ? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with this type of phone and what was the outcome ?

A very un-happy customer. 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just to clarify op,
The glass is broken or the lcd panel below the glass has cracked?
If the latter, get it to Samsung and do not tell them about O2 repairs rubbish, the chances are O2 repairs didn't even open up the device, once they saw the crack they could just write it off as user fault.
Message 21 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi viridis

The glass was not cracked it was the panel below. Started getting faint lines across screen then completely faded.

02 have admitted that it was not investigated fully but state that it was caused by excessive pressure, twisting or bending being applied yet why would I have bothered to send back if I had caused the damage or whatever the reason.

Anyway for a full investigation to proceed I have to pay for repair up front ! 

Message 22 of 35

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Get it to Samsung.
For the lcd panel to crack but not the glass is very rare, for it to happen in an aluminium bodied phone without the aluminium retaining misshapen form due to being bent is almost incomprehensible.
Get it back off O2 asap and get it to Samsung.
Message 23 of 35

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I.e if the damage was caused by bending, the phone would be bent.
Message 24 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly and thanks for your comments.

I forgot to add that it was also in a leather casing.

There are no signs of damage to the phone so I cannot see how they came up with their diagnosis without a proper investigation.

I will just do that and see what Samsung have to say.

Message 25 of 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
I.e if the damage was caused by bending, the phone would be bent.

And there is the logical lesson of today ^^^^^^^....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 35

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Like an iPhone.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Like an iPhone.......

but of course...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi im glad ive seen this post my A5 did the same on monday sent a txt then got the phone out of my  bag and the screen had gone black with lines across no damages what so ever to phone and they have ssid same to me thst its not covered by warranty  so want me to pay 90.00 to have it mended  which isn't  going to happen 

Message 29 of 35

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Is this O2 or Samsung?

If O2 then the same applies, get it back and contact Samsung direct. They must be getting plenty of complaints about this issue.

Message 30 of 35