cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Belle phones

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've asked a similar question on another area of the forum but have any o2 customers using Nokia Belle phones in the UK been able to update to Nokia Belle FP1 or later?

I'm wondering about the timing and availability of the updates rather than how to update. I've webchatted to the Gurus but they haven't been able to help- one suggested I use Zune to upgrade the software on my Nokia 700 from Belle to Lumia. If anyone has been able to do that, please let me know.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

eruditel
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would also like to know when Belle Refresh will be avaiable on O2.  It has been available now for 2 months for unbranded phones.  Any information?

Also I'm sorry to tell you that you can't upgrade from Belle > Lumia.  Prehaps the 'Guru' was talking about upgrading your handset rather than the software.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have being asking for O2 via formal emails. Gurus and chats for why the Belle FP1 upgrade (112.XXX...... - previously known as Carla) for the Nokia 700 is still not available. It has been rolling out accoss other networks in the UK since April/May. There is now a FP2 out (113.xxx........ -Once known as Donna and possibly the last ever Symbian ^3 update) - O2 phones are still languishing in 111.xxx....... land. We are missing out on improved notifcation screens, Dolby Sterio sound, a raft of widget and other functional improvements and most importantly an unlocking of the processor speed from 1Ghz to 1.3Ghz......

What is the problem O2 - why are you restricting us from benefitting from these updates? This is a good phone - why stop making it a better phone. I am looking at the new Nokia 920....happy to stay with my Nokia 700 until the 920 appears on o2 - but as long as I can get an upgrade to belle......Otherwise I may consider jumping to the darkside in EE.........
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone have any luck with this?
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've not had any luck as yet but I emailed the Complaints Team last Wednesday (31 October) and the automatic reply indicated a ten day target for their response. I will let post the gist of their reply here and on the global Nokia forums so that their position can reach the widest audience.

I really hope to have a clear promise that o2 will release the firmware on a timely basis. Failing to improve firmware is a clear signal that they would prefer people to upgrade their physical phones more regularly and latest tech is an obvious part of their marketing. Not sure this matches with the o2  "commitment to operating in an environmentally responsible way" included in their ISO 14001 certification.

Surely, keeping customers up to date via firmware rather than physical replacement is the best way to "control of our environmental risks"? Even the support of recycling cannot outweigh the continued use of the same phones for longer (followed by recycling).

Message 5 of 14

eruditel
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Supporting firmware updates is definitely a good way helping people hang on to their old phones as they will support new features etc. 

I think O2 became bored of being environmentally responsible.  They don't seem to have eco ratings for new phones now either.

Let us know if you receive a response.

Message 6 of 14

eruditel
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just spoke to someone on chat.  Apparently they are planning to release Belle Refresh but they have no timeframe for when.

"We are still working on releasing an upgrade for Nokia. We usually test the software update before releasing it out. As of now we don't have an estimate timeframe yet."

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but I would be cautious about the information received from the o2 gurus- I have had some very wrong advice regarding an upgrade from Nokia Belle to Lumia!

I have contacted the complaints team and received a message indicating that I would receive a reply within 10 days. It is now more than 10 working days since that message was sent adn I haven't heard a thing. A chaser email simply generated another automated reply, this time increasing the waiting time to 14 days. Neither mentions working or calendar days but giving them the benefit of the doubt I would hope to hear back on my first email some time next week.

If not, I shall probably have to progress it some other way, possibly by tracking down a real address for one of the directors- easily available from Companies House for a couple of quid!

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nokia publish eco ratings for their phones on the website
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

The o2 Complaints Review Team have looked into the issue I raised. They have assured me that the o2 Technical Team have (now?) got FP1 from Nokia and are working on getting it released to UK o2 customers shortly. Whilst not able to give a precise release date, they hope to get it out in a few weeks time- so hopefully by the new year (my words).

With the enhancements that FP1 brought this is very welcome news. It is just a shame that it has taken so much effort to get this information out of o2. We live in an age of information and expect it to be available, timely and accurate. I look forward to an announcement, and a software release, from o2 in the near future.

Message 10 of 14