Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile broadband data

Floss
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a situation where I am consid2ring mobile broadband as we cannot have a fixed line where we are living. My friend has recommended a device to use as a router but does a regular 4g sim work or does it have to be a mobile data sim. Does anyone also now if 50gb lasts?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can use a normal sim as far as I'm aware.

It depends how you use data. If you stream movies, music or radio then 50GB probably won't last a month but for tethering a laptop and normal usage it should be fine.

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Floss 

It has been known for O2 to block normal sim cards in BB devices.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Floss 

It has been known for O2 to block normal sim cards in BB devices.

Of that I wasn't aware. Have we heard of that on here?

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, there was one fairly recently.
In all fairness, mifi devices shouldn't be used as replacements for fixed broadband anyway and all those unlimited data tariffs on the networks that provide then still have fup's to limit their use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Floss
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the responses!

I wouldn't say we are going to use 500GB or anything really high but I am gauging around the 75GB I think.

We have had to move out of our house for a few months and we cannot get a fixed phone line where we are. I would just rather have more data then we will probably need... slight_smile 

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Floss 

Your contract or PAYG options are here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/pocket-hotspot/huawei-4g-2017?productId=a6f1d03f-7118-44c9-a5ab-ca0... 

But to get the kind of data you're talking about you'll need to be on contract.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Bit late on this reply but contrary to what people say you can use 4G as a fixed line replacement now. Its exactly what I've done for the last couple of years quite successfully. That's including Netflix for a couple of hours each night on SD quality, working from home continuously all day and still didn't break the 50GB limit I had - its on Vodafone by the way as o2 weren't competitive in their offerings. 

Speed varies from around 10Mbps depending on wind (no seriously I'm in a slight dip between 2 masts on Anglesey) and I've seen close to 50Mbps at times. Reliability has been very good compared to the landline. Twice I think I've had issues but related to mast work. As it turns out, my backup is a PAYG o2 data sim and the speed isn't that fast. 

But as above, the FUP thing has appeared in the 'unlimited' packages so one hand its good but if you're happy with upto 10Mbps, its more than adequate for the unlimited. 

If you want a landline type number, you could always sign up for VOIP/SIP service for free and pay for calls as you want them - I use sipgate - and the clarity is unbelievable. Bonus being its an app on multiple devices so as long as there is a wifi signal, I'm contactable anywhere. Not that I give anyone that number rofl

Devices, I'm quite happy with the Huawei models though the one I had to start with (E5770/o2 wifi pro) broke for some reason on the 4G so replaced it with a Zxycel LTE3302. Both of those have an ethernet port which I needed so I spent extra tracking them down. Otherwise if you have no need for ethernet, the wifi only variants around are more than adequate. I'm currently testing one since it came free on my upgrade and its (branded as a Vodafone R218 but a Hauwei thing) and its very good. The added bonus here is that they are battery powered and as I'm prone to powercuts, they kick in immediately with no adverse effect for work. The Zxycel also works on USB power so I'm happy to recommend that one. 

But check that you have a strong 4G signal in the house by trying other networks first. You might be able to pick up a cheap unlocked MiFi device on ebay then pay out for a 30 day data only sim. Slightly more expensive way of doing it but at least you won't be tied to a long contract. 

Message 8 of 8