Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Wifi

Mandy5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve recently bought a Vodaphone Mobile WiFi dongle thing. This is unlocked as when I put my O2 pay as go sim in the dongle, my iPad and phone find and connect to it ok.

My problem is when I try to connect my fire stick it brings up another screen on the tv, this says WiFi is connected and good signal, but the internet is not connected, and needs things to conn3ct ???

please help as want to use this whilst caravaning with my autistic son.

thanks

ps. I’m not tech savi, please go carefull with me.

thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mandy5 

Some things to try here https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-fire-tv-stick-not-connecting-to-wi-fi/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Hi @Mandy5

Not to scare you as it will work, but you need to have plenty of data, and stable data

The Fire TV Stick will eat data, its uses approx. 2 -3 Gb per movie so a days worth of viewing will take about 6GB per day .
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@madasaf1sh You are right about streaming using a lot of data in HD, but I stream from Amazon Prime and Neflix and the difference between SD and HD in data usage is huge but the quality difference is negligible in my opinion (Sony 32" TV - 1080P - Connected to a PC HDMI) It's quite remarkable how good the picture is in SD. Don't know if it's the same with a Fire-stick? 

Message 4 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Hey @Anonymous

IF you put the Firestick in the lowest mode, its like watching in 240P and will still use between 500MB/hr and 900mb and it really isnt watchable.

If you use the Better mode it is 1.4Gb / per hour upwards.

I agree the difference between SD and HD is 99% of the time indifferent but 240P is horrible and should be avoided at all costs 🙂
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
240p on YouTube on mobile is also terrible (admittedly I am on WiFi) and won't watch anything less than 720p.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a lot of gumpf when it comes to resolution and quality, very low quality is obviously inferior to HD but a lot of so called HD is not really that HD, the resolution might be there but the quality within the resolution is not really HD. You can see this effect just watching freeview - All SD channels are the same resolution but some are much better quality compared to others, for eg compare BBC/ITV1 to some minor channels and the quality difference is like night and day. If I watch an SD film on my TV the resolution is reported as 1080P (My desktop settings) But the film is streamed in SD and is not 1080P, but the TV does a good job to upscale the picture that makes it look slightly better than SD ( SD on Neflix and Amazon Prime is already good anyway) I've only really noticed a difference between good-SD and real HD when the film scene is very busy or in very dark scenes (Slightly inferior contrast)  

Message 7 of 11

Mandy5
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

thanks for your comments, but I need to know how to connect it,

Message 8 of 11

Mandy5
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

thanks for your comments, but I need to know how to connect the internet 

Message 9 of 11

Mandy5
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

thanks for your comments, but I need to know how to connect the fire stick to internet 

Message 10 of 11