cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access on Nokia Lumia 625 running in background and using all my credit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Ive just bought a Nokia Lumia 625. I'm not a great phone user, just use it for calls and very little Internet browsing. I just liked the look of the phone. However, I'm on Pay as you go and added the basic web bolt on at £3.00 per month which gives me 100MB of data. Now as I said, I'm a very light user (about 10 mins per day at a very maximum, most days I won't access the web at all) but I've used my 100Mb already and it's only been added 2 days ago. I have downloaded 3 games at 25mb each, but one is a trial, so will be removed but apart from that nothing. I have noticed though that when I tap on the Internet explorer icon, the last web page I was in comes up immediately and I don't know how to get it back to the homepage and close the window (the handbook is useless and I'm an IT dinosaur!). Is the problem that this page is still running in the background  when I leave it and so using my credit? If so, how do I close it as it's costing me a fortune as O2 is now deducting £1.00 a day off my balance to give me an extra 50Mb which is used every day!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You can get numerous apps that create shortcuts on your homescreen to the "mobile network" settings. I think even the O2 app has a shortcut for this.

All of the O2 apps can do that. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, are you generally connected to a WiFi connection?  If so, WP8 normally turns off Wifi if the screen is locked, so any background tasks running when the screen is locked would use your cellular data rather than WiFi.

You can keep WiFi turned on when the screen is lkocked by selecting Settings > WiFi > Advanced and checking the "Keep WiFi on when the screen times out".

If you have that selected, then the phone should not use any cellular data when you are connected to WiFi.

Failing that, DataSense is your best friend as it will tell you what apps are using cellular data.

Message 12 of 12