Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Devices

Topics: 529
Solutions: 10,978

Re: Denim/GDR1 for Nokia Lumia - Update

You need to ask MS and Voda that question but I assume there is some commercial agreement in place?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Anonymous

No, I'm asking o2 who have said they're in the same situation as all of the other companies...
O2 Social Media Team

@MI5 wrote:
Chris will give you the official company line on that.....

Sorry MI5, not sure what you mean - line on what?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, Vodafone seems to have released it for 1520... Why are they getting preferential treatment?

I'm afraid that's not something we can answer - if that's true, we're not sure how or why that happened as we believed all networks to be in similar positions with this update.

CommunitySig_Animated_2.gif

Anonymous

Hi Chris,

It's even showing on the ms update availability page as the Vodafone 1520 should've got denim... Suggest o2 has blunt conversations with ms...
Topics: 113

@Anonymous wrote:
Vodafone seems to have released it for 1520

I seem to have spotted a problem......?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Anonymous

The company I work for are (sadly) on Vodafone and all the sales people have 1520's and they are in the process of installing Denim as we speak.  No developer preview or anything odd, just good old legit update.

Have O2 perhaps upset MS or simply has the ball been dropped?

@Chris_K  Have a competitor pipped you to the post here?

Highlighted
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation

Hello @Chris_K - I have been in a bit of a discussion with a colleague in Microsoft, formerly of a major network who has advised me that all of the Denim update should be with operators.  This leads me to the following conclusions that:

1. O2 has genuinely not received the updates, in which case it should publically be asking why not; or
  2. O2 has it and you have been mislead by others, which should mean an apology to customers and a bit of focus;

I don't think you have been actively misleading us - I wish to make that clear as I have always observed a tremendous relationship between you and this community.  I am not sure if some of the other teams are taking this just as seriously.  I want to take the benefits of a Microsoft Device that your network sold to me as part of a contract.  I want to take the benefits of the O2 network.  I feel that at the moment, O2 is not delivering that.  

Other customers are also showing disquiet at this situation - can it be remedied before unrepairable damage is done?

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Anonymous

I'm still at a loss as to why the carriers have to stick their oar into the update process anyway. Apple avoid such meddling and aside from breaking a few handsets with dodgy updates they've not brought an entire network down. Indeed, I've used an unlocked, unbranded handset with an o2 sim and I'm unaware of any mobile masts that have spontaneously combusted as a result.

If I'm over simplifying things via my flippancy I'm more than happy to be educated on such things. As it stands though I'm just as frustrated that am update announced over six months ago and what I bought a 930 especially for (more fool me) is yet to materialise.
Anonymous

Yes it has been some time since Cortana, & the Denim update was announced, no definite answers, only the devices mentioned that are getting the Denim update. Would have thought that a big company like O2, would have one of the Senior Managemnt Team, to explain to its customers, precisely what is going on. Seems that, reading other customers views, O2 are either not happy with Microsoft,  or,vice versa. O2 & Microsoft need to move towards addressing issues that totally upset & make customers annoyed. If this uncertainty goes on, well?, Customers will think very hard, on who to trust, & that can be bad for both businesses.

Anonymous

I fail to understand why Vodafone can have Denim available on 1520 but not O2. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europ...

(link clearly lists Vodafone as having Denim on the 1520 - and its from Microsoft so its official that Vodafone has it) - whats actually wrong O2?  Are you saying that Microsoft "forgot" to issue you with the update for the 1520, but gave it to you for the other phones?  Really?  I understand that there are added features on the 1520 etc the that the lower end phones dont have, but seriously?

Heres a weird idea - I pay you guys every month, why not take some of the money I give you and actually pay someone for 10 minutes to phone Microsoft and ask them when you are going to get the update?  I mean really - you have no employees that are able to do that and you cant spare any of the money I pay to make it happen?

If Three or Sky does buy O2 / merge with O2 - I wonder if the service will improve?  But then one has to wonder why a booming business's owner is (Telefonica) is looking to get rid of O2 in the UK?

Here's another idea - listen to your customers....  Or they tend to leave.