Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Bold 9700 won't start up

Nightowl
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two days ago my screen froze on my Bold 9700 - the time had not updated and no matter what button I pressed I was unable to get the password box to come up. Initially I tried to turn off the phone using the red button but this did not work. I decided there was nothing for it but to pull the battery. This problem had happened to me before and usally a battery pull did the trick. On this occassion when I first put the battery back in the phone appeared dead - no lights or screen came on. I re-pulled the battery a couple of times and then eventually the red light came on followed by the loading screen. The loading bar got a short way along before the phone turned off and the red light came back on again followed by the loading screen. This process repeated again and again and again. I have tried all suggestions I have found on here already and nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't tried is reloading the OS as I am desparate not to lose my data as it is not backed up anywhere. To be honest I had no idea there was a way of backing it up until I have been looking into this problem and didn't know about Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Has anyone got any other suggestions of how I can get back into the phone and recover my data - even if it means I have to take it somewhere and pay them to do it

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's not something I use everyday so in all honesty I couldn't give you a walk through guide, however, I do remember it was all pretty automatic once I plugged the phone in to the PC.
This from BB support pages may help you too http://uk.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/desktop-pc.html
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If you install BDM on your PC and do a firmware recovery it should give you the option to back up everything first before it reloads the OS.
I've done this before with a 9700 and it was successful....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I now have BDM installed on the PC. Please could you tell me how I go about doing the firmware recovery - sorry if that's an obvious question but I have not done this before and want to do it right to give me the best chance to recover my data.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's not something I use everyday so in all honesty I couldn't give you a walk through guide, however, I do remember it was all pretty automatic once I plugged the phone in to the PC.
This from BB support pages may help you too http://uk.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/desktop-pc.html

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for all your help - will give it a go and cross fingers - I think this is my only option so I guess what will be will be and lesson learned to make sure I have important contacts and info written down as well!

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can back up weekly to BDM once you are back up and running wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6