cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Pico Mail with Nokia Asha 300? Can't set up SMPT for iCloud account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  I have Nokia Asha 300 (Series 40, not Windows) as backup phone.  As Nokia Mail is now defunct I've installed Pico Mail client.  Works fine with my BT Internet account but iCloud fails to send emails out.  I can view iCloud inbox OK so must be SMTP setting-related.  I've set up Pico for secure SMTP, and server, port and password are all as per iCloud account requires.

Apple says if I get an error message on sending via SMTP I may need to use TLS or STARTTLS for SMTP instead of SSL; anyone had similar issue, and if so any fix?  Pico only offers option of SMTP or secure SMTP, and I assume "secure" is SSL protocol by default in the app - I can't find an option to use TLS.

Alternatively, does anyone know of an alternative Java mail client that can provide the alternative protocol options?

[Why don't I just use my iPhone?  I travel a lot and I need a backup that is small and light and doesn't burn though battery life on standby...]

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No mate, never used it myself but they all work the same way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to the forum

I haven't used it myself (in fact haven't heard of it) Not sure whether any other members use it. I know @MI5 has a Nokia but he is offline at present.

I wonder if @jonsie or @viridis could help as they are online....?

Or indeed anyone else who uses Pico Mail....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Use Port 25 and turn off SSL and any other requests for auth.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - worked first time.  Changed the SMTP settings as you suggested, left IMAP as it was.  Glad to see there's some real knowledge in this community; I was browsing through before joining and saw requests such as "Is there a selfie app for the Asha 300?"

Have you used Pico Mail yourself?

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No mate, never used it myself but they all work the same way.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember pico from years ago, I thought it was defunct but it's still going 

Message 6 of 6