cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay return costs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now not being an eBay aficionado...

I’ve bought a phone that is well below what was advertised as and I’ve submitted a return, the seller has accepted.. 

So I’m guessing I have to pay for postage to get it back to them.. and if so.. is there anyway to claim those costs back or do I have to suck it up..?

cheers

C

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I would think that contacting the seller might get you an answer. If the ad didn't say free returns, it most likely means you'll have to pay the postage. If the phone was expensive you should probably take pictures and/or insure it as well. The seller could easily claim it arrived damaged if you don't.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
eBay policy is if you report an item you receive as significantly not as described it is the sellers responsibility to pay the return costs.
It’s all covered in the T&C’s
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Who pays for return postage costs

If the item was not as described, the seller is responsible for paying return postage costs.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/return-item.html#process

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

The seller doesn’t accept returns is what the ad said BUT the phone didn’t come in it’s original box, the headphones weren’t original and were used (ugh) the phone was locked to Vodafone, not unlocked as in the ad.

so I initiated a return and the seller as accepted. Now as I asked the seller several questions including specific questions about the phone, which she blatantly lied about.. I should get the postage costs back..

but it where do you ask eBay or Paypal to look into this.

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to raise the complaint through ebay citing the item as not as described.
ebay contact the seller telling them they have to pay return postage and if they refuse to, ebay refund your money and charge it directly to the sellers account.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  You do it through the Ebay Resolution Centre https://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

It takes you through the whole process

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I’ve started the return.. she’s agreed to take it back, but there is nowhere to get the other person to agree to pay the return costs.

Never had to do this before and I won’t be doing it again! 

Message 8 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

Yes I’ve started the return.. she’s agreed to take it back, but there is nowhere to get the other person to agree to pay the return costs.

Never had to do this before and I won’t be doing it again! 

It's in the terms and conditions that she has to pay. Check the link given by @MI5

However if you have used Ebay resolution centre then they should action this for you.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently, if the seller accepts the return (even though they state no returns) eBay makes up a ‘prepaid’ return label and it’s there ready to be printed. The cost of return is then billed to the sellers PayPal.

If it’s not readily available (like mine wasn’t) you need to ring eBay and they’ll send it to your email address.

Ive never bought big / expensive stuff on eBay and now I know why!

Message 10 of 18