Did you mean: 

Your holiday tips: Rome

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

In just over a month, I'll be heading to Rome for a week. I'm really excited about visiting the landmarks, seeing the ruins, eating some amazing food, and just taking in the culture and atmosphere Confused

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 15.06.28.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-20 at 15.08.45.png

Have any of you been to Rome before, and have any tips to share?

I'm open to all suggestions, whether it's about what to do, where to go, how to go about anything ... it'll be my first time in Italy, so your advice and experience is welcome!

Thanks!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go and watch either Roma or Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico - Italian football is a Religion wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 53

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

There are loads of day and evening tours on land, air tours, day trips to Capri or Venice as well as day and evening river cruises. Of course, you can just walk round Rome and take in the beauty of the city and the lively Italians.

It really depends on how much you have to spend what you do tour-wise. But a visit to the Colosseum and the Vatican is a must. Loads of restaurants and cafes to try. The food is fantastic. And, of course, you must have some ice cream 😉

I was there for 3 weeks and a fortnight on 2 occasions with my late boyfriend and still didn't see it all. It was quite a few years ago but I'm sure all the tours we did are still going plus additional tours set up since then.

What you do, how much or how little will depend on your budget. Rome isn't cheap. It wasn't when I went and I should imagine it's more expensive now.

Whatever you do you're going to fall in love with the city. I envy you, would love to go back.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 53

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've been a few times, spent two weeks there about 10 years ago and then a memorable week with friend followed by a cruise around Italy and Greece. after that we had five days there but that was mainly retracing previous steps. I've still not seen the half of it.

Definitely take the boat to Capri, the island our own Gracie Fields chose to spend the latter part of her life.

Apart from all the main attractions, that can be seen using the hop on/hop off buses, such as the Coliseum, the Trevi Fountain, The Circus Maximus and all the churches such as St.Peters, The Basilicus etc you must see the Catacombs which are a little gory to myself but everyone takes different things from different places.

Day trips to organize yourself include Vesuvius and Vatican City. Don't pay organized trip prices. trains go straight there. I'm pleased with myself for climbing to the summit of Vesuvius twice but take strong comfortable shoes if you want to film the molten lava stilling bubbling out.

Venice is also close by though to do it justice you need couple of full days there. Maybe a separate holiday there unless you can include it in your plans.

Message 4 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great pictures @jonsie

I have never been there but get a real feel of the place from your photos...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 53

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'm impressed you went to the top of Vesuvius @jonsie. I might have done that if I wasn't terrified of heights. As I recall Steve went to the top, scaredy cat me stayed firmly on the ground.

Message 6 of 53

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5

Roma vs Lazio is on while I'll be there, but the tickets are scarce and pretty pricey now sweat_smile I'll look into it though, if a good opportunity comes up it'd definitely be a good experience.

@Glory1

I'm not going with an "on a budget" mindset since I don't go on holiday very often and we want to just make the most of our time abroad, but let's not break the bank either ... so it'll be a bit of a challenge I guess. Do you remember a specific area you liked walking around most when you went there, or was it all equally charming?

@jonsie

Where have the pictures gone and how can I see them now?? astonished 

I'd love to go to venice too but I don't want to rush through either cities so it'll be for another holiday ... Is the boat to Capri a day trip kind of thing? Do you remember where you took it from? It sounds like it could be a great idea to add to my list.

As for Vesuvius ... I was thinking about going to Pompei we can fit it in so on the list as well. Really impressed you went to the top of the volcano, I'm afraid of heights like @Glory1 so I might have to pass grimacing 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 53

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

@MI5

Roma vs Lazio is on while I'll be there, but the tickets are scarce and pretty pricey now sweat_smile I'll look into it though, if a good opportunity comes up it'd definitely be a good experience. 

I'm jealous - you must see that game live - whatever the cost !

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 53

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@EmilieT it was quite some time ago since my last visit so I can't remember a specific area of Rome. But I do recall that I loved every area of Rome we saw. Steve was my guide as he'd lived in Rome for a couple of years after uni so I basically followed him. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Glad you can't see the pictures either, I thought it was just me.

Message 9 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes It's a pity those pictures have disappeared (I wonder if @jonsie just did copy and paste...or deleted from his picture file on here)....Anyway they were lovely.

Edited to add, I've just checked his gallery and they aren't there (and should be)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 53