Did you mean: 

World Space Week 2018!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Yesterday kicked off 2018's World Space Week! Space Week is an international celebration of science and technology with a focus on space exploitation. 

"Since its United Nations declaration in 1999, World Space Week has grown into the largest public space event on Earth. More than 3,700 events in 80 countries celebrated the benefits of space and excitement about space exploration in 2017.  The 2018 theme is “Space Unites The World”

There will be thousands of event's happening across the globe over the next few days and you can find details over on the World Space Week webside

There also have been some fantastic Astronomy announcements recently that tie in nicely with Space Week. 

Firstly, astronomers think they have discovered the first ever exomoon, which is a moon that orbits a planet outside our Solar System! 

The moon is huge compared to anything we've seen before, it's the size of Neptune and orbits a planet similar in size to Jupiter but 5 times as massive. The moon was first detected by Nasa's Kepler spacecraft then further observed by the Hubble telescope. Further study is needed to confirm the initial results but if proven correct this is a massive discovery! 

_103645834_mediaitem103645833.jpg

Next up and a lot closer to home where Japan's Hayabusa 2 rovers have sent images of the Ryugu asteroid. The rovers arrived mid September following a 3 year trip and have begun to return images and test the asteroids surface temperature. The rovers don't have wheels and instead hop around the moon by spinning a weight contained inside the probe which then generates movement. The images returned so far are amazing as shown below! 

_103600101_mediaitem103600100.jpg

Is anyone aware of any space Week events happening in your area and of so are you planning to attend? 

What do you think of the exomoon discovery or the first images from the Ryugu asteroid? Let us know! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

God knows why my links keep changing to that.. they work when I first post them. And thank you @jonsie that was the link

Message 31 of 40

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36462 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

God knows why my links keep changing to that.. they work when I first post them. And thank you @jonsie that was the link

Cue the theme tune for the X-files... Fear

Or you could just plump for this:

Message 32 of 40

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've long been facinated with space.  My wife got me this for Christmas last year and was really interesting

The Planets

Thanks

Steve
Message 33 of 40

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10792 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 349 Solutions

Hi 🙋 @Martin-O2

Just found these space 🚀 boots for your Mars vacation, sorry it's a bit after Space Week BBP3XjA.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 34 of 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

We all had moon boots back in the day cool

Related image

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 40

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 37 of 40

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10792 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 349 Solutions

Hi 

@jonsie  ~ need to call them "Mars Boots" now though  ~ great!

@Cleoriff~ can see these boots don't know which way to turn ~ great!

@Martin-O2~ some lovely ideas for your planned trip for you to keep warm feet, at leastcool

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 38 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

They are/were lovely and warm though @TallTrees

Looked silly, though rather be silly and warm than trendy and cold wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 40

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Wish they were in fashion again as they were lovely and warm.

If we keep getting winters like last year they will come back as they'll be needed snowflake

Thanks

Steve
Message 40 of 40