Did you mean: 

World Space Week 2018!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Yesterday kicked off 2018's World Space Week! Space Week is an international celebration of science and technology with a focus on space exploitation. 

"Since its United Nations declaration in 1999, World Space Week has grown into the largest public space event on Earth. More than 3,700 events in 80 countries celebrated the benefits of space and excitement about space exploration in 2017.  The 2018 theme is “Space Unites The World”

There will be thousands of event's happening across the globe over the next few days and you can find details over on the World Space Week webside

There also have been some fantastic Astronomy announcements recently that tie in nicely with Space Week. 

Firstly, astronomers think they have discovered the first ever exomoon, which is a moon that orbits a planet outside our Solar System! 

The moon is huge compared to anything we've seen before, it's the size of Neptune and orbits a planet similar in size to Jupiter but 5 times as massive. The moon was first detected by Nasa's Kepler spacecraft then further observed by the Hubble telescope. Further study is needed to confirm the initial results but if proven correct this is a massive discovery! 

_103645834_mediaitem103645833.jpg

Next up and a lot closer to home where Japan's Hayabusa 2 rovers have sent images of the Ryugu asteroid. The rovers arrived mid September following a 3 year trip and have begun to return images and test the asteroids surface temperature. The rovers don't have wheels and instead hop around the moon by spinning a weight contained inside the probe which then generates movement. The images returned so far are amazing as shown below! 

_103600101_mediaitem103600100.jpg

Is anyone aware of any space Week events happening in your area and of so are you planning to attend? 

What do you think of the exomoon discovery or the first images from the Ryugu asteroid? Let us know! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi ~ World Space Week 2018

Very interesting ~ probably we will scare ourselves a bit!

Seeing all that "stuff" whizzing around seemingly out of control ~  I can't understand the enormity of the space, makes me feel small in comparison ~ I look at tiny creatures and think "what do you think?"

Thankfully we are already Space Travellers  on our "3rd rock from the Sun" so that will do me.

Won't be considering a "trip to Moon" or "trip to Mars" however unlikely it is that I should be asked! 

Virgin Galactic eat your heart out!    Richard Branson sees new money $$ innocent 

TallTrees  ~ with feet on Terra Firma but still spinning and going around the Sun! Help

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have never been a space fan, unless you count my love of all things a Star Trek.. But I was intrigued to see the surface of that comet. The first pictures were a little disappointing but the others have been amazing. (The writers of Deep Impact have obviously been there already)

Not heard of any events round here tbf

Message 3 of 40

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@TallTrees I'd definitely be up for a visit to the Moon or Mars but I would rather wait until they have a few hotels and resorts built first! joy Being an early pioneer is incredibly risky.

I love all things space @Anonymous! I find it fascinating. Big Star Trek fan too. wink

The pictures were amazing. I wonder how solid the surface is as a lot of asteroids are just balls to gravel and rocks loosely held together with gravity. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 40

Harrysmum2008
  • 50 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I love it.  One of the highlights of my holiday a few years ago (other than having a Corvette as a hire car!) was going to the Kennedy Space Centre.  I actually got quite emotional when we saw the space shuttle Atlantis.  I find it quite sad that no one has walked on the moon in my lifetime.

Formerly Traceyjs1975!
Message 5 of 40

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35223 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

..."event's"...? Don't know

It's all great news, exomoons and all... Some of the images they're releasing are simply stunning!

Wonder what they'll do with the first photo that shows another creatur/being/whatever going tongue back at the camera?

Jaw-dropping

Message 6 of 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

It's all great news, exomoons and all... Some of the images they're releasing are simply stunning!

Wonder what they'll do with the first photo that shows another creatur/being/whatever going tongue back at the camera?

Jaw-dropping

Just one word. Roswell alien

Message 7 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

@pgn wrote:

Jaw-dropping

Just one word. Roswell alien

Worst programme ever

Message 8 of 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35223 Posts