Did you mean: 

World Book Day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is World Book Day The annual celebration of authors, illustrators and reading which is marked in over 100 countries around the world. The celebration also see's kids in schools dress up as their favourite book character. 

I've recently started a sci fi novel called Hyperion set in the 27th century. I'm only a few chapters in but it's great so far! 

What are you reading currently and do you have any recommendations for when I've finished my current book? 

BOOKS.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the library and hid all the Wheres Wally books!!  Dance

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to the library and hid all the Wheres Wally books!!  Dance

I gotta give it to you @Anonymous ... you allus crack me up ... please don't stop LOL

I'm reading A Cat Called Alfie, sequel to Alfie The Doorstep Cat ... by ... Rachel Wells

If you're in the mode to like The Street Cat Named Bob books ... by ... James Bowen you will like the Alfie Books

Years ago I enjoyed reading sci-fi, adventure, spy / thriller books but nowadays I enjoy the comfort of reading cat books fact or fiction Cat

Message 3 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous-02 I've read Hyperion and loved it. If memory serves me it is part of a series but I can't remember the other titles.

I am currently re-reading the huge Ken Follett novel (1,126 pages) The Pillars of the Earth. I read this book and the sequel a number of years ago and want to refresh my memory as a third book in the series (which I've pre-ordered) is out September.

I love Sci-fi, thrillers (legal, medical, psycological, crime), historical, horror and fantasy. Simply put I read any genre except romance.

My best buy was my Amazon Kindle which weighs way less than the book I'm currently reading. For years I fought against e-books - now I wouldn't read anything else. Technology is definitely my friend... 😄
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Martin-O2 I read a lot of books. Mostly sci fi or fantasy but also horror and thrillers.
Some recommendations are:
Raymond Feist Magician (start of a massive series of 30 inter-linked books!)
Scott Sigler Infected series (3 books)
Stephen Donaldson Gap series (sci fi) or Thomas Covenant series (fantasy)
Arthur C Clarke Rama (sci fi)
Peter Gethers Norton books (real life cat books)

Also a big fan of Stephen King, Robert Ludlum and Dean Koontz.

Recently discovered a web site called BookBub. You enter your details and what genre(s) and author(s) you like and they email you suggestions that are on offer in either Kindle or Google Book formats. Got about 20 or so in the last few months that are free. Only down side is generally they are first in a series!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I have a copy of A Street Cat Named Bob which is next on my list so will keep an eye out for the Alfie books! 

@Anonymous Smiley Very Happy The'll never find em! 

@Glory1 I'm only 2 chapters in so no spoilers please wink Yes it's the first in a series. A friend of mine read it and loved it so got it for my last birthday. 

@gmarkj I've been on a bit of a non-fiction binge recently so thanks for the link! Will help me select my next few fiction books. I used to read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger but could read all of his books again as its been so long. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am an avid reader and enjoy psychological thrillers (I try and test new authors for this genre :smileywink:)

Anything by JD Robb, Nora Roberts, Karen Rose, Lisa Gardner...Tami Hoag etc etc etc.

I enjoy classy horror stories. (a bit like classy horror films)

Everything by Stephen King....I like Dean Koontz as well. (tho a little tired of reading his bio in every book ie 'DK came from a very very poor background' etc etc etc.

It's ok Dean... we know. You have been telling us  since the 1970's...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Sorry @Anonymous-02 you did also ask for recommendations. Mine are Ben Aaronvitch - PC Peter Grant series (fantasy), anything by James Patterson and Mark Billingham (thrillers), anything by Martina Cole (crime), the late Tom Clancy (techno thrillers), Benedict Jacka - Alex Verus series (fantasy/horror), Robert Bryndza - Erika Foster series (thriller), Steve McHugh The Hellequin Chronicles series (fantasy/horror).

Stephen King (my favourite author) and Dean Koontz have already been mentioned.

Oh and I would never ever give spoilers...😉
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff If you're into your horror then check out James Herbert. I read a few of his books when I was younger and really enjoyed them wink

@Glory1 Thanks, a ton of great recommendations there! I haven't read a crime novel in ages so will give some of Martina Cole's books a look. 

signature

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Cleoriff If you're into your horror then check out James Herbert. I read a few of his books when I was younger and really enjoyed them wink

Read them all @Martin-O2 (just didn't want to brag....) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15