Did you mean: 

World Book Day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is World Book Day The annual celebration of authors, illustrators and reading which is marked in over 100 countries around the world. The celebration also see's kids in schools dress up as their favourite book character. 

I've recently started a sci fi novel called Hyperion set in the 27th century. I'm only a few chapters in but it's great so far! 

What are you reading currently and do you have any recommendations for when I've finished my current book? 

BOOKS.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff OK nice that's a fair few books to get through! Looks like I have some catching up to do Smiley Very Happy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 11 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Honestly @Martin-O2 I am an avid reader.  The only genre I'm not really interested in is Science Fiction/ Fantasy. ...Oh and autobiographies. Some are ok but those that require Ghost writers are a no no. I am also one of the very few women who dislike the Fifty Shades books!! I tried one and am firmly of the opinion that E.L. James needs to go back to school and get some qualifications in English language. Never read such tripe in my life Dance (Rant over) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that makes 2 of us then @Cleoriff about the 50 Shades of Grey books ... just not interested ... some were on the WMC bookshelves ... it was interesting to try & spot who took them ... some silly male person pointed them out to me as if I hadn't noticed them ... I replied, not quietly 'I'd rather have a hot dinner' ... LOL

The slick women posers off the Leeds train were reading them trying to look Kool ... I ask you Don't know

Many many years ago saw a cartoon of The Karmasutra, in the days at the cinema when there was a pre-film ... it was very very funny Smiley LOL

There are some badly written cat books, fact & fiction, they find their way to a charity shop

Another cat fiction book which is looking good @Martin-O2 is Charlie, the Kitten who Saved a Life ... by ... Sheila Norton Cat

Message 13 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
And me makes three @Anonymous and @Cleoriff. I've not attempted to read any of the 50 Shades' books as I knew when I heard about the first it wasn't for me.

And @Cleoriff I also agree with you about autobiographies. I prefer biographies but only on people I'm interested in or want to learn more about.

But I am into science fiction/fantasy. Peter F Hamilton is my favourite sci fi writer. I think he's brill.

The only genre I really can't stand is romance - the books don't seem to bear any relation to real life. The woman is always besutiful and the man good looking and sexy, and often rich. And they meet and passions explode...... 🤔

Nah I prefer my fantasy correctly labelled...😂

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 14 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I think you can count me out of the 50 Shades club too! 

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I have enough recommendations to keep me well read for a good few years slight_smile

signature

Message 15 of 15