cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why stop at mobiles?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm been thinking for some time now why is it not possible to use ordinary full size telephones as mobiles. 

You could buy a phone for the desk, office or home, and it would look just like an ordinary landline telephone except it wouldn't have a cable and no sockets would be required. You just put your SIM card in and hey presto! You would then be able to position the telephone anywhere in the home without the need for a socket nearby.

Of course it would mean competing with BT, but it would mean being able to use ordinary telephones on the mobile phone network.

You wouldn't have to worry about phone sockets or landlines and it would be good for people in remote areas who live off-road and don't have a telephone line to bother about. 

I think it would be good idea. Laying down cables does seem a bit old-fashioned nowadays.

That would be an idea for the future, but whether it would actually happen I don't know, but I await that day!

😀

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Ah, but I'd still have to get up and walk to where the telephone is when it rings... instead of reaching into my pocket to retrieve the thing and answer the call (or frantically rummage around the cushions on the sofa to find wherever this persistent ringing is coming from...), @Anonymous 😉😁

giphy (1) (26).gif

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Homer Simpson has the same problem!

😂

Message 3 of 7

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Remember these?

search.jpeg

You could sit in your Ford Cortina at the top of the street and tune your FM radio in to the call, too 😖

Message 4 of 7

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote

Remember these?

MiAmigo_0-1648824970793.jpeg

Thanks for bringing back distant memories @pgn 

I used to sell those when I was Business Centre Manager at BT.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 7

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

AlexanderMTTH
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 76 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I like your idea. Used to have sometimes very similar at the begining of the 2000s when I used to live in East Europe.

I like my landline and I'm happy with it. As everyone's moving to VoIP I don't see why this would've be the future. All the 5G internet hub thingy might have a line included. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
Message 7 of 7