cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should we celebrate Valentine's Day?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Love Week

I can’t find one good story about how Valentines Day began.. Each of the various stories I’ve looked into state that Valentinus was clubbed and stoned to death on February 14th 269 AD (but this appears to be a rough estimate 270 & 273 have also been mentioned) after he tried to convert Claudius II to Christianity. Previous to this, it is claimed that he restored the sight of the daughter of a local Judge, who then freed some 40 religious prisoners in return. It seems Valentinus was imprisoned various times for preaching to the (un)converted, but became somewhat of a celebrity to the Emperor who would later demand his breathing privileges cease!

There are also words written (supposedly) from the condemned to Asterius’ daughter ‘from your Valentine’ which apparently is where the saying we know today comes from.

And yet my brief from Marjo is to keep it positive. Why? Because Valentines Day is supposed to be about happiness? I don’t see much positivity when I’ve researched into how and why Valentines Day came about.

So, indulge me....

When was the last time you heard anyone celebrating being single? Apart from the day the Decree Absolute came through.. I know i cheered!  or when I see a couple fighting.. When I see this, out comes my favourite saying ‘I’m glad I’m single’ but is that right? Cheering on the end of an era or watching someone else’s misery?

There seems to be a day for everything these days but I can’t ever recall seeing / hearing anything with any cheer for single people. And is being single anything to cheer about? In this day and age it’s all about couples. Single person supplements for example. Why is it still more expensive to be single?

And tell me.. If your significant other is so wonderful, why do we need a single day to show them how we feel about them? Shouldn’t you be showing it everyday.. & do we really need to do it with material things? Isn’t ‘I love you’ & puckering up enough?

Cards & presents are given / received on many days of the year & each time a considerable amount of the worlds resources & your hard earned cash are wasted on gifts that aren’t really needed. It’s the ‘done thing’ isn’t it? People feel obliged to do it because it’s ‘expected’

Expected? Really? What about love? (Great Heart song)

And we do all this because of some story from the past, of which we’ll never really know if it’s true or not? And yet so much importance is placed on it by so many.

So go then, tell me.. Where am I going wrong? I’ve listed my negatives, Show me the error of my ways, point out from the list above or other examples why Valentines Day is a day that should be celebrated. What have i missed?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
  • 122917 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

And I didn't need to perv over a gazillion pound car so I must be even cheaper than you @Cleoriff .. a title I'm quite happy to claim!

I don't care @Anonymous . The gazillion pound car cost nothing to look at and it made me very happy. Does that make me sad? Who cares? rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 49

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got an e-mail from O2 with my latest bill - my award hadn`t been taken off as it arrived too late cry

- but did get nice surprise last night when carer bought [yeh she paid for] supper, with chips, mushy peas, three mushrooms in batter, huge veggie pie, and sachets of HP sauce - so well happy [OK wasn`t from a girlfriend but was still nice yum]

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’d love to be as passionate as you @Cleoriff Not just about F1.. about anything!

———

Sat in the pub having a brew with a good neighbour and some old guy wandered up and said...

‘To the world you’re one person, but to one person you are the world’

I thought that was lovely and worth remembering...
Message 43 of 49

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I like them words of the old guy @Anonymous .

You should bung it post it in the Thought Of The Day thread

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

I got an e-mail from O2 with my latest bill - my award hadn`t been taken off as it arrived too late cry

- but did get nice surprise last night when carer bought [yeh she paid for] supper, with chips, mushy peas, three mushrooms in batter, huge veggie pie, and sachets of HP sauce - so well happy [OK wasn`t from a girlfriend but was still nice yum]

People get cards & gifts from unknown admirers so I think we can yours as a RESULT @Mi-Amigo !!! Good on ya! (That carer needs some training tho.. S&K pie, no mushrooms) 😉

Message 45 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're getting a cat @jonsie ? xx

Message 46 of 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 47 of 49

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122917 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions
Message 48 of 49

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome, @Anonymous a very interesting topic cheers for taking the time to draft this and start the discussion. I'm just finishing reading through everything and enjoying the read! thumbsup

Lovely to hear about your cat @jonsie ! Cat Very Happy Cat Very Happy Cat Very Happy 

Message 49 of 49