cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should we celebrate Valentine's Day?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Love Week

I can’t find one good story about how Valentines Day began.. Each of the various stories I’ve looked into state that Valentinus was clubbed and stoned to death on February 14th 269 AD (but this appears to be a rough estimate 270 & 273 have also been mentioned) after he tried to convert Claudius II to Christianity. Previous to this, it is claimed that he restored the sight of the daughter of a local Judge, who then freed some 40 religious prisoners in return. It seems Valentinus was imprisoned various times for preaching to the (un)converted, but became somewhat of a celebrity to the Emperor who would later demand his breathing privileges cease!

There are also words written (supposedly) from the condemned to Asterius’ daughter ‘from your Valentine’ which apparently is where the saying we know today comes from.

And yet my brief from Marjo is to keep it positive. Why? Because Valentines Day is supposed to be about happiness? I don’t see much positivity when I’ve researched into how and why Valentines Day came about.

So, indulge me....

When was the last time you heard anyone celebrating being single? Apart from the day the Decree Absolute came through.. I know i cheered!  or when I see a couple fighting.. When I see this, out comes my favourite saying ‘I’m glad I’m single’ but is that right? Cheering on the end of an era or watching someone else’s misery?

There seems to be a day for everything these days but I can’t ever recall seeing / hearing anything with any cheer for single people. And is being single anything to cheer about? In this day and age it’s all about couples. Single person supplements for example. Why is it still more expensive to be single?

And tell me.. If your significant other is so wonderful, why do we need a single day to show them how we feel about them? Shouldn’t you be showing it everyday.. & do we really need to do it with material things? Isn’t ‘I love you’ & puckering up enough?

Cards & presents are given / received on many days of the year & each time a considerable amount of the worlds resources & your hard earned cash are wasted on gifts that aren’t really needed. It’s the ‘done thing’ isn’t it? People feel obliged to do it because it’s ‘expected’

Expected? Really? What about love? (Great Heart song)

And we do all this because of some story from the past, of which we’ll never really know if it’s true or not? And yet so much importance is placed on it by so many.

So go then, tell me.. Where am I going wrong? I’ve listed my negatives, Show me the error of my ways, point out from the list above or other examples why Valentines Day is a day that should be celebrated. What have i missed?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I got nothing which suits me fine.

I did get a look at the new Mercedes W11 2020, with Lewis driving round Silverstone. I'll take that over anything else. joy

I'm easily pleased and a cheap date. LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I got a Happy Valentine message from my wife. That was as good as it got until I ended up in my local pub. Cat comes tomorrow sometime....Cat Happy

Message 32 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I got a Happy Valentine message from my wife. That was as good as it got until I ended up in my local pub. Cat comes tomorrow sometime....Cat Happy

That's brilliant news about the cat @jonsie. Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 49

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

It's a bit of fun, @Anonymous - what's not to enjoy about a cryptic card, note, message or other sign of affection to your partner/SO/spouse, where one exists, on this one day in the year (at least)?

I had to do a double-take in a local purveyor of cards and schtuff: "To my darling Son, on Valentine's Day", and further along the display, "Happy, Valentine's Day, dear Son".

Err...? Astounded

Message 34 of 49

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 35 of 49

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
From a doting Mum to her Son on Valentine's Day. 💘💋🤐
Message 36 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

My son made me a Valentine card when he was 5. Bless him. You know at that age they are encouraged at school to make Easter cards....well he thought a Valentine card was a great idea. I've still got it somewhere yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 49

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Easter eggs without the word "Easter" seem to be all the rage atm...
Message 38 of 49

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 39 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

A cryptic card from your spouse @pgn ? Not very cryptic if you know where it’s from! And fun at the cost of the planet... really doesn’t seem worth it! But each to their own I guess.

And yes these weird relationship cards are just that.. weird!

And I didn't need to perv over a gazillion pound car so I must be even cheaper than you @Cleoriff .. a title I'm quite happy to claim!

Message 40 of 49