White Room Quiz Mon 09 Nov 2020

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Normally the White Room Quiz has eight questions - with two questions from four categories, but today`s White Room Quiz is an ever-popular "Odd Questions" edition - with eight questions which don`t fall in the usual categories but, instead, there in one question on each of the following subjects

CURRENCY  PIRATES  INITIALS  CODES  FLAGS  SAYINGS  SIGNS and one "LEFT-OVER" question

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Monday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Tuesday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff    @pgn   @jonsie   @MI5   @gmarkj   @Anonymous 

and O2 Community managers @Marjo   @Martin-O2   @LukasB 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and any new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

Please note: there is no QI-style question in which the answer is not what most people think.

Some of the questions are rated as "easier", others as "not-so-easy".

TODAY`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 CURRENCY    The groat, introduced in England in 1280, was worth how many old pennies ? 

Q2 PIRATES          Pirates in the 18th century subjected sailors of ships they captured to keelhauling.

What, briefly, did keelhauling involve ?

Q3 INITIALS         What do the initials of the United States` "C.I.A" stand for ?

Q4 CODES            According to the British Highway Code, what is the stopping distance of a vehicle

travelling at 30mph ? [answer can be in metres or feet]

Q5 FLAGS             Which country`s flag has a 12-pointed white star, below a gold line, on a blue field ? 

Q6 SAYINGS         What are the two missing words from this well-known saying

Don`t kill the ----- that lays the ------ egg ?

Q7 SIGNS             What shape is the road traffic sign for GIVE WAY on British road ? 

Q8 "LEFT-OVER"  - question "left-over" from the "Bonfire Night" edition of the WRQ on Wedneday

Who was the firework the "Catherine Wheel" named after

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Mon 09 November] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tuesday 10 November]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Wed 11 November

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, each member who gives

EIGHT correct answers               SIX correct answers                     FOUR correct answers

will be awarded                       will be awarded                          will be awarded

silver-thinker.jpg                 bronze-thinker-crop.jpg                        red-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER                     BRONZE THINKER                             RED THINKER

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Mon 09 November 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tues 10 November 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Tuesday 10 November will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" with this week`s quiz. 

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

I hope everyone likes the questions in today`s White Room Quiz, and finds this WRQ fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A good mix of questions @Mi-Amigo. Must brush up on my flags!! yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 39

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Thinking cap on slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 39

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff 

Pleased you like the mix of questions. I do enjoy finding questions for the "Odd Questions" editions, and usually find something interesting in "flags".

Thank you @MI5 

As I said, there are a couple of questions which are not so easy this time and are rated as "difficult".

Good luck to you both.

Look forward to pm from each of you with your eight answers any time after 12 noon today.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 39

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm confident about this one! Lets see how long that lasts laughing

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 39

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

On way 

Ring of Fire Catherine Wheel Firework animated gif

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo  Pm incoming...via a 'car exceeding 30 mph'.....rofl

motion driving GIF

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 39

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

Good to hear you are feeling confident about this quiz.

Look forward to pm with your eight answers

@MI5 

Like your gif - ties in with a question in the quiz

pm with your eight answers received

@Cleoriff 

Nice gif - which ties in with a question in the quiz

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 39

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

PM sent @Mi-Amigo!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 39

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Martin-O2 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 39