Did you mean: 

What do you do during half term?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

February half term has started for UK schools today, finishing 26th February. I don't have children myself so the only way I notice this really is when commuting to work (less drivers on the roads) and the week before hearing my colleagues talking about their half term holiday plans. smile

I wanted to ask how you guys are spending (or have spent in the past) this holiday period if you have school-aged kids? Smiley Happy I found a list of activities here (it's for London area but there's probably similar stuff in other areas too) that gives ideas for entertainment for kids for half term from different things you can do for free, activities for "techy" kids, children's theater shows, museums, city farms... and I also spotted an article that suggests several places where you can go spot spring flowers in the city which I'd love to do even by myself on weekends! sunflower

When I was a child, in Finland, we also had 2 weeks off around this time and it was called "school ski holiday" as we normally have a lot of snow around this time of year. snowflake I often went to an outside activity center where you can rent ski equipment and sleds and spend time outdoors with other kids.

What do you normally do during half term? Smiley HappyDo you have any ideas to share based on your experiences?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Half term is next week in Skipton, North Yorkshire ... but ... in Lancashire it's this week

I try to avoid the kids ... = ... my bad LOL

My child is now married ... I am not a grandma, but maybe I will be sometime in the future

When my son was little there was always a club at the church. All 7 of my close family used to worship there & they did all sorts of indoor craft activities (not connected with religion)

The local rugby union & cricket ground did outdoor activities

Swimming in the local baths in the park

My dad would take us 'Up the Dales' to a picnic spot by a river where we would don wellies, grasp buckets & dip fishing nets to see what we could find

Dad made a raft of 2 litre fizzy drinks bottles & we all ... well dad & the kids, enjoyed playing with that

Fish n chips for tea / supper outdoors

2 local steam railways = Worth Valley & Embsay to Bolton Abbey

Vintage / classic car museum in nearby Keighley

Happy Days smiling

Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi  @Marjo

Enjoying the driving experience!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don`t have kids, so in answer to the question, "What do you do during half term?" is half as much as I do during full term smirk

What I do notice is how fewer cars are around where I live. Its a quiet area anyway but between 7.30am and 8am term time loads of parents off on the "school run".

When I was young, I remember going from where we lived (I moved with my parent when I was young) to Birmingham to stay with my Gran who took me on day coach trips... so dont know if that counts....

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

I don`t have kids, so in answer to the question, "What do you do during half term?" is half as much as I do during full term smirk

What I do notice is how fewer cars are around where I live. Its a quiet area anyway but between 7.30am and 8am term time loads of parents off on the "school run".

When I was young, I remember going from where we lived (I moved with my parent when I was young) to Birmingham to stay with my Gran who took me on day coach trips... so dont know if that counts....

Day coach trips count very much @Mi-Amigo

I wish they were around in Skipton nowadays

Yes I agree with less traffic around in the morning & between 3pm - 3:45pm ... I live in a town & the street has become a bit of a 'rat run' at those times  

Message 5 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous that sounds lovely! smiling I had forgotten that I also spent time at a club that was at the church when I was a kid. It also worked as a place to go after school when my parents were still working.

@TallTrees I don't actually drive myself yet, but hoping to learn at some point! I started with some lessons and then took a break from it... I'm still having the break after 2 years. open_mouth 

@Mi-Amigo Coach trips sound fun! I would love to do that sometimes. I used to live in Scotland for a couple of years and did many day trips touring around different areas there by coach.

Message 6 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Depends on the weather and time off work, but...
- animal activity (open farm/petting zoo/normal zoo)
- local park time
- visit friends/family (as different areas have half term at different times this can be tricky)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@TallTrees I don't actually drive myself yet, but hoping to learn at some point! I started with some lessons and then took a break from it... I'm still having the break after 2 years. open_mouth 

Hi ~ @Marjo

Your car driving techique sounds like my bicycle learning technique! heart_eyes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 9

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Marjoand @Anonymous yeh I enjoyed coach trips.

Years later I worked for a bus company which organised day trips and week-long tours, so go reduced price trickets.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 9