Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phones Direct cancellation on o2 Contracts

Abid_Hussain
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On March 23, 2024, an online purchase was made through Mobile Phones Direct for a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra device. The purchase included an airtime plan with o2. The cost of the device was £99.00, and the airtime plan was £60.00 per month for a 24-month term. 

On April 1, 2024, I contacted Mobile Phones Direct to cancel my order within the 14-day cooling-off period. I was kindly advised to return the device to Mobile Phones Direct, excluding the O2 SIM card. Once the device is received, it will be registered in the warehouse, and it typically takes 2-3 working days for the device to be scanned and the cancellation process to begin. After the device has been scanned, the entire process is expected to be completed within 5-7 working days.

I respectfully followed all the aforementioned procedures and returned the device via post on Tuesday, the 2nd of April, 2024. Mobile Phones Direct received the device on the 3rd of April, 2024. 

On the 5th of April, I sent an email to Mobile Phones Direct to request confirmation that they had received the device. They kindly confirmed receipt of the device on the 3rd of April 2024.

On April 15, 2004, I received an email confirming that the device has been received and that the return process has commenced. If you requested a PAC code to retain your number, it will be sent to you shortly, and we will notify you via email once your refund has been processed.

I contacted Mobile Phones Direct over the phone sometime after 15th April to enquire about the status of my return, as it had not been processed yet. They informed me that they were experiencing issues with O2 cancellations and advised me to keep the Direct Debit in place and pay any airtime charges until the cancellation is processed. They also mentioned that O2 is aware of the situation and will reimburse the charges.

On April 24th, I reached out to Mobiles Phones Direct via email to inquire about the status of my cancellation request. As of now, I have paid one airtime bill of £60.00, and a second bill for £60.00 is due on May 7th, 2024. I received a response on the 24th of April stating that my message has been forwarded to a senior management team and that I should expect a response within 48 hours.

I have been in communication with Mobiles Phones Direct since May 21, 2024, regarding the cancellation of my service. Unfortunately, the cancellation has not yet been processed, and I have been charged for £180 in airtime bills that I should not have been. Another bill has been generated, which will bring my total airtime bill to £240, and I have also been charged £99.00 for the device, for a total of £339. Mobiles Phones Direct has consistently responded by stating that the issue lies with O2, and that they are aware of it. Unfortunately, this means that there is nothing further we can do at this time.

On Friday, June 7th, I had a conversation with O2, and they informed me that they have not received any communication from Mobile Phones Direct and have not initiated the return process for the order. They advised me to contact Mobile Phones Direct and request that they manually initiate the return process so that my airtime plan goes in to a sim only contact and then O2 can resolve the issue. O2 also stated that if this cannot be done, I should take my relevant proof to an O2 store and have them contact Mobile Phones Direct to resolve the issue.

I emailed Mobile phones Direct on the 8th June 2024 for this request and I received a reply stating that we are waiting for o2 to disconnect and provide you with a PAC code.

On June 10, 2024, during my visit to an O2 store, I encountered a situation where one of the representatives contacted Mobile Phones Direct. Unfortunately, the representative from Mobile Phones Direct declined to speak with them directly. As a result, I was compelled to communicate with Mobile Phones Direct myself. I was informed once more byMobiles Phones Direct that the issue is related to (O2). It seems that the frontline personnel in the O2 department may not be aware of this information, but the O2 IT team is aware of the problem and we cannot do anything further other than wait for O2 to process the disconnection.

I sincerely hope that this difficult situation will come to an end soon. I have already sent an email to the O2 complaints department today.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7008 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1573 Solutions

If you have complained using the official procedure

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Then it is now around 8 weeks to get an answer, during that time it is unlikely anyone from O2 will be able to help pending an outcome.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10453 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3067 Solutions

@Abid_Hussain 

To be honest it sounds like Mobile Phones Direct aka AO.com have dropped the ball on this occasion, and it is the responsibility of them to fix the problem, as they should have processed the return in time, and should also take responsibility for any costs.. 

I would find the email for the CEO of ao.com and put the same in writing to him. 

Good Luck

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7194 Posts
  • 137 Topics
  • 25 Solutions