cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿป ๐ŸŽ„ What are your Christmas traditions?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys,

My turn to write a Christmas topic. santa Happy Dance Well you might know I'm not super duper into Christmas, unlike @LukasB Smiley Very Happy however in the past couple of years I've had some new traditions forming for how I celebrate and I've really enjoyed it.

1) One decoration hanging somewhere in the kitchen (a glittery Santa I got from Estonia)

2) Visiting boyfriend's family for 1-2 days (exhausting but lovely)

3) Delicious food and some nice mulled wine afterwards with some Netflix (or maybe Disney+ this year)

4) Little presents for my cats Cat Very Happy (catnip fish ordered!)

This year, of course the pandemic is going to affect this and many people's traditions but I hope we will manage to have a relaxing time somehow anyway. hugging (See some lockdown Christmas activity discussion here)

I'm adding a 5th tradition to my list this year --> Christmas tree! I got a second-hand plastic one, also have a box of decorations for it including lights. It will be interesting to set it up with two cats in the house who've never before seen a Christmas tree. I'll let you know later in the decorations topic how it went.

Do you guys have any Christmas time traditions? Anything you've been doing for multiple years in a row, or perhaps in your childhood based on the traditions of your family?

Anyone have any different traditions from around the world that you like to do each year? Anyone do anything "unusual" during Christmas?

I've noticed since moving here that Christmas is celebrated mainly on the 25th (presents opened, main meal etc), whereas in Finland where I'm from the Christmas Eve on the 24th is the main day to celebrate. That's usually when Santa comes to visit and people get together in the evening to have a nice meal together, and the 25th is spent just relaxing. Also, I've noticed that ham is more popular than turkey when it comes to the Christmas food in Finland compared to here in the UK... after Christmas, we use the leftover ham to make ham & pea soup. 

Looking forward to reading about your traditions, or any that you've read/heard about that you find interesting. slight_smile

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25145 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff Bow

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have my Christmas cards up from last year on an old 2nd had fancy pine shelf unit in my kitchen / diner

This year my cards (always put up as each one arrives) are on the kitchen windowsill where my cat ornaments are

Love Christmas cards ... the design on the front ... thinking about who the card has come from

My Christmas presents re-arranged after my bubble friends Christmas 'party' and present swap from the mother of my daughter-in-law ... = ... extremely anti-covid done as she has an op tomorrow

The Christmas wrapping paper and gift tag with maybe a seasonal gift bag ... thinking how kind and thoughtful the givers are

Best Christmasses have been when my son and I were together here ... always turkey dinner with full trimmings but something like a chocolate gateax to follow as my son does not like Christmas pudding ... enjoying Christmas cake with local Wensleydale cheese

Queen's Christmas speech at around 3pm then hopefully a half-way decent film

Buffet for tea ... no alchohol but something like Schloer then - non alcoholic wine nowadays

We have always opened our presents on Christmas morning after I have had a cuppa and mince pie for brekkie ... Alex would have had coca-cola with a few chocolate biscuits ... one year a snooker table ... Lego technic Challenger space ship ... still have the lovely tactile purple / clear paperweight he gave me ... another time a lovely rounded arch shape wooden surround mantelpiece clock, still on display ... another year garnet / gold earrings, which are very much valued, all his thoughtful / kind gifts are ... 

Turkey rissoles on Boxing Day lunch with buffet again for tea ... perhaps a Vienetta to follow, not forgetting chocolate Yule Log

The cat of the time would have been our black cat Wispa who had toys and food treats of her own, but always played with the torn up wrapping paper and ribbon

Old Christmas decorations from the family home in West Yorkshire in high cupboards in my room = too difficult to get at now ... a plastic Christmas tree from Sharjah UAE wrapped up in an old sheet, decorated and put in copper tank cupboard, again now difficult to get into ... a pink Christmas tree with purple berry lights on, silver star on top permanently on dressing table in spare bedroom

Looking forward to Christmas this year, despite the strangeness of 2020

Everyone have a Happy Christmas and a Safe, Peaceful New Year xXx cat santa christmas_tree star

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lovely poem @Mi-Amigo ... what a talented fellow you are smiling

Message 13 of 16

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo quiz-master AND a great poet too! ๐Ÿ‘ Lovely Christmas poem. Do you often write poetry? slight_smile

@Anonymous I hope you have a relaxing week! smiling

@jonsie I used to enjoy the TV schedule routine too. slight_smile It was over 10 years ago though when I last watched "normal" television and had an actual TV. Now I have one again after I moved house though but just use it for Netflix, Prime and Disney+.

@Cleoriff That's lovely that you bought presents for the patients. slight_smile Your plans sound lovely this year even though a bit different due to the current situation. 

@Anonymous Oh yes I remember from last year(s) that you like to put up Christmas cards as decorations. I only have 3 (from my new neighbours) but I've displayed them in my kitchen too. slight_smile One on the table and two on the wall.

Message 14 of 16

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25145 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous and @Marjo thank you for your kind comments.

I used to write poems from when I was at school and even got a prize for an anti-war poem [influenced by Dylan and Donovan] in 1967. After that, I`ve occasionally written love poems for girlfriend at the time.

Never really found it hard to do. The words just seem to come to me or flow once I start - hard to explain really.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks M!
Message 16 of 16