Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

As I see it it's only off topic threads being split. F1, Cats and Dogs, Virtual lounge and Wanty's.Shocked

Yet when we have multiple questions on bill problems we are asked to post them on one thread!!.

Cant wait till the next Apple Launch....I wonder what we will be told to do then? ....1000's of posts all asking the same question ad infinitum...

Well in the past all iPhone launch threads have been left and we were told with no uncertainty that they would not be merged. 

Message 31 of 57

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Personally (and at risk of being flamed) I think i would have been much better to have had a forum discussion where we could have all given our thoughts on the issue of splitting threads. @MercedesS?

To do it without warning is slightly off putting if honest.

I think every one of the regular users who post more than anyone else on here... would have said to leave Wantys as it was. My opinion for what its worth...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 57

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@MercedesS wrote:

Thanks @viridis!!!! We have been told that "archiving" means "removing" and the search/index problem is affecting the O2 search too. 

However, I can promise you that we will talk to Lithium and O2 to explain your proposal and see if they like the idea of removing/archiving all the topics before 2014, for example, to be able to keep long ones under off topic. And maybe ask what "removing" means for the users: Do you know if they can lose their post or accepted solution count if we remove that many topics? 

Thanks again for all the help Hero

No need for total delete, you will need them for some audit or another.

Create a subforum called "archive" and place it in an administrator permissions based parent forum,

It will then be exempt from indexing, (provided the indexing born used by O2 has "public" permissions and not admin) but still be retained physically for audit purposes.

Message 33 of 57

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Personally (and at risk of being flamed) I think i would have been much better to have had a forum discussion where we could have all given our thoughts on the issue of splitting threads. @MercedesS?

I think every one of the regular users who post more than anyone else on here... would have said to leave Wantys as it was. My opinion for what its worth...

I agree, I think whatever indexing issues are present, won't be fixed by splitting off topic.... Because in a support forum very few people will search for off topic stuff.

Message 34 of 57

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Well we are asked for ideas and feedback. Some threads by admin ask for comments and what we think. A thread asking about splitting various topics and what we thought would have been preferable though I do appreciate that admin have every right to do this without our input but I think you can appreciate the depth of feelings about this @MercedesS
Any hope of reversing the Wanty's thread, it's an institution on here? Maybe that's where we all belong..... 

Message 35 of 57

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

I am really sorry that trying to fix a big technical issue is making you all that sad.  Thoughful

As Is aid, we didn't remove anything and yes, this is sad to say but we (the community team) don't decide. We cannot even say what we personally think!!!! OMG I wish I could Happy Dance 

Please remember this is our job. Nothing personal. I wish someone could understand us...

You guys are really so lucky if you being able to ask "everyone's opinion" before doing your job! We are not cry

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 36 of 57

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

This just shows how inflexible and lacking in current software techniques Lithium really are.

It never ceases to amaze me that Lithium, as a Community forum provider, can be so autocratic.

"A group of people living together and practising common ownership"...........what is this @MercedesS ?

It's certainly not the O2 Community.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 37 of 57

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Any hope of reversing the Wanty's thread, it's an institution on here? Maybe that's where we all belong..... 

If you can explain what that means... Because it is there!
Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 38 of 57

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

All of this just proves my point. We are discussing this issue in Wanty's. A Virtual bar for the regulars who want a virtual drink and to banter or have a joke

Not the place for any such debate if honest....

Would have been far more sensible to start a thread about splitting of threads...archiving and indexing...etc etc etc Definitely NOT a conversation for Wantys at all slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 57

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
My best debates occur in the pub
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 40 of 57