Did you mean: 

Visiting Auschwitz

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Morning all,

Sorry for bringing a bit of solemnity to this Monday morning's proceedings, but I thought I'd see whether anybody here had previously visited Auschwitz and would mind sharing their experience or any helpful advice?

My Mum's got a milestone birthday coming up next year, and it's somewhere she's always wanted to visit, so I've been thinking about paying for a trip for her (and going with her myself). Ok, so I realise it's not the same as a "treat" for her birthday, but with her interest in WWII history I'm sure it's something she would appreciate a lot more. And I won't lie, it's somewhere that I'd like to visit myself too, to take the opportunity to remember and reflect.

If anybody has been, would greatly appreciate any tips re tour operators, hotels in Krakow etc. 

Cheers,

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I've a friend who's been, and the thing that sticks out from what they said is that even now it's earily quiet, like even the birds aren't singing. That the pain suffered there is tangible, to this day.

I'd certainly visit there but it would never be a birthday or any celebratory outing, for me at least, if that makes sense?
Message 2 of 10

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Absolutely, totally get what you mean. Don't worry, it's not planned to be celebratory in any way as the attrocities which took place there really should never, ever be celebrated.

More a case that it's perhaps not a trip Mum would otherwise be able to afford to take, and being a Mum if she was able to she would be much more likely to spend the money on a more "enjoyable" family trip rather than somewhere like Auschwitz which she would like to visit.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Wa10 yeah I hear ya, it's something I'd be interested in hearing about after your visit, maybe update us here?
Message 4 of 10

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@gindygoo Absolutely, if we do go next year then I'll be sure to give you guys some feedback. If not next year, then it's definitely a place I'll visit at some point and I'd love to give Mum the opportunity too. 

Going to spend some time having a look at the options, and see whether I can make it work. 

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My son who was working in Krakow at the time took us 5 years ago. It's best to go there without involving tour operators to be honest to get the true feel of the place and to be able to spend time quietly contemplating the horrors that took place there. Early morning is the best time to go, you get a feel for the place before the buses arrive and the experience is totally humbling. Public transport is easy and cheap.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never been personally, but it's somewhere I would like to visit. I think the most important thing that anyone can do when visiting is be incredibly respectful. I think those who take smiling selfies in this type of place are doing so in bad taste. 

I do think it would be a lovely gift to take your mum on the trip given that it's somewhere she's always wanted to go. 

Sorry I am not able to give any useful information having never been, but I wish you well on your visit and hope that you both find the visit enlightening. Watching documentaries, reading articles, seeing pictures is one thing. Being able to visit though is certainly something I feel we should all do given the chance. 

Message 7 of 10

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@jonsie Having had a bit of a browse around, that certainly sounds like the answer. Looking at the restrictions/access times etc. I'm thinking that if we perhaps made our own way there early in the morning we could spend some time quietly reflecting and appreciating the horror of the place, with  the option of taking a guided tour later on in the day if we wanted to absorb more information and learn more, with the freedon not to be tied to this if we decided not to.

@Anonymous Couldn't agree more, it's not a place for jolly selfies or any kind of "enjoyment", very much a placeto reflect and learn to appreciate what took place. Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated, I'm going to try to put some plans in place. 

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
All the best with the trip. I hope it proves to be an interesting experience.
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My point exactly, it's not a place where you want to see people posing for photographs. Go early morning before the sightseers who only go for photographs to prove they have been. It's a stark reminder of the atrocities of war and not just of German atrocities. Reflect on the cruelty of the Japanese, the Americans and even the British yes. A stark reminder that there are no winners in war, only casualties and families of all soldiers whatever nationality and whatever they justify as a reason.

I've visited Sachsenhausen in Germany, I've been to the bridge on the River Kwai and the beaches of Normandy. Nothing brings more heartbreak than seeing the mass graveyards of our fallen allied forces and you realise how faceless politicians, safe behind their fortified bunkers, were responsible for millions of deaths on all sides in the 20th century alone.

These places should serve as a reminder that this and future generations can never let this happen again on such a scale....but we have the Falkland war, Iraq and ISIS to keep money coming into the coffers of the arms dealers who I'm sure instigate much of the troubled hotspots in the world today. These aren't world wars but they have the same affect on the thousands of innocent citizens targeted by extremists and governments alike. Will things ever change? Not in your or my lifetime but hopefully for our grandchildren.

Message 10 of 10