Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Town centre shopping

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Came across this article on the BBC website complete with a wave of nostalgia about going into town on a Saturday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36148788

So as the internet has changed our shopping habits, car parking charges are ridiculous not to mention local business rates killing off any businesses hope of survival plus the rise of out of town complexes.....what do you miss about town centre shopping and do you still go into town for anything?

For me its the record shops I miss though the only real reason I have to go in is for the bank.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I have never been a fan of shopping in town on busy days. The joy for me when working as a nurse, was my shift patterns usually meant I had days off in the week. Going to town on those days was a whole different ball game. No crowds, no queues and far better service.

Nowadays...if it can't be bought online...it doesn't get bought.

I have friends who organise shopping trips to Merry Hill, Lakeside etc etc....I would rather stick pins in my eyes Drum

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

The only time I go in town now is if I need to go to the bank or a night out when my son visits me.

Bolton town centre is now a ghost town. As said, high business rate for stores who find decreased footfall doesn't cover the high overheads, no on-street parking without payment and over-diligent little fascists in uniform just waiting for your ticket to expire or checking if one of your wheels so much as touches a white line.

Pubs boarded up due to high prices and having to go stand in the rain or freezing cold for a cigarette. Buy cheap at the supermarket, drink at home and dodge all the beggars and thieves made homeless by uncaring councils and local services.

I too miss the record stores, the busy market days and the shear numbers of people that you knew and could stop and talk to. Supermarkets, business parks and free parking changed the way we shop. You can buy anything online and get it delivered without venturing out. Local shops went too unless you are an off-license or papershop and now they are even combined. All bought up by faceless people.

Town centres are incorrectly named. The business parks are now the town centre. Bolton has merely an admin centre now, such a shame for a town that once had grandeur's and was in the running to have City status.

Yes I miss the old days but I'm leaving them far behind....

Message 3 of 22

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23537 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

Living in London, I'm not familiar with the Saturday shopping thing, or the nostalgia for it, but I would probably avoid it like the plague. It's always crowded in London. I try to go food shopping at off-peak times, and if there's any tech stuff I'm interested in, I'll go look in a PC World or somewhere similar and do my touchy-feely thing, then I'll go home and buy it online, where 99.9% of the time it's cheaper.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our town centre now mainly consists of restaurants and pound shops.  We do have an HMV though, although I probably shouldn't be allowed in there on my own as I spend too much!

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in a small norrthern town, where there are independent small business ... but have ie recently had Starbucks move in ... now we have all three posers coffee & chemical food places ... loadsa cafe's & pubs ... including some new micro pubs, the Sound Bar has traditional wood dockets for cd's & they play vinyl ... but ... Big Brother is moving in eg taking over our indoor posh market, with rents to London ... the local council don't help at all

I like online shopping, delivered right to my door, but I like mooching around town early on a market day

I don't drive ... & ... am not so adveturous as I once was on the train 

Message 6 of 22

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Long gone are the days when you could stroll around town and bump into many people you know. Now everyone I see is wearing Hejabs or Yashmaks, we all walk around hands in pockets staring at the floor lest we upset someone by having the temerity to look at them. The St George and Union flags no longer fly on the Town Hall and we are a costed by Big Issue sellers, catalogue surveys, street 'musicians' with their sidekick dog so we will pity them and of course the litter wardens who have to walk round in pairs. I swear their are more traffic warden and litter wardens than shoppers.

No going in town is not what it once was....

Message 7 of 22

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

BBC News: 10 High Street stores of 1976 that have disappeared
10 High Street stores of 1976 that have disappeared - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36148788

Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember all of them except Fine Fare.  The one I really miss is Woolworths.

Message 9 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Bit of a shock with BHS. We have lost the Co-op in the Midlands ....which in turn cost one of my lads his job as a delivery driver....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22