Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Town centre shopping

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Came across this article on the BBC website complete with a wave of nostalgia about going into town on a Saturday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36148788

So as the internet has changed our shopping habits, car parking charges are ridiculous not to mention local business rates killing off any businesses hope of survival plus the rise of out of town complexes.....what do you miss about town centre shopping and do you still go into town for anything?

For me its the record shops I miss though the only real reason I have to go in is for the bank.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't realise that Co-op is no longer in the Midlands.  Sorry about your son's job @Cleoriff

I'm not surprised about BHS to be honest.  The one nearest me doesn't have a lot of choice and what they do have is badly laid out.  My husband gets some clothes from there but I never find the ladies stuff very inspiring and the sizing is odd.

Message 11 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93321 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not surprised about BHS to be honest.  The one nearest me doesn't have a lot of choice and what they do have is badly laid out.  My husband gets some clothes from there but I never find the ladies stuff very inspiring and the sizing is odd.

I rarely shopped at BHS for clothes...but their homeware dept was good ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 22

MI5
  • 147046 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
We've still got local co-op stores, but the big superstore is no more.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 93321 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

FB_IMG_1462123889487.jpg

But who always had the problem that you went to the checkout and you spent more than you spent on a week's grocery....

Message 15 of 22

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Oh I did love that pick n mix slight_smile  I reluctantly go into town every Saturday. Nightmare. Queues..rude people..just not my thing. I order online for myself mostly..though if I'm buying clothes, I do like to feel the material tongue 

A lot of the shops in the mall have gone now, as apparently the rent is too expensive now..I can see a time when all shopping will be done online..if we can still afford broadband by then wink x

giphy-3
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

the co-op shop in town went a few years ago, the food department was like a big town centre corner shop, you could buy household goods, holidays, the cafe was good, & shop within a shop clothes, there is a Spar shop just the other side of town from me which is doing well & is soon to have a sub-post office moved in with it ...

Loved Woolies pick n mix ... = ... the purple ones were me & my dad's favourite, used to get cd's & dvd's from there, Yorkshire Trading have taken over from Woolies ... seemingly a fairly high-turnover of small shops, yes to do with rent & rates, far too many outerwear shops atm

Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my first ever single in Woolies - The Irish Rover by The Pogues and The Dubliners (I had strange taste for a 12 year old!).

Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 93321 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I bought my first ever single in Woolies - The Irish Rover by The Pogues and The Dubliners (I had strange taste for a 12 year old!).

Nothing strange there, I still love the track.

Message 19 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Here you go @Anonymous Love the way Shane McGowan was smoking a cigarette at the start....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 22