Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Reply
Highlighted
Posts: 78,569
Topics: 704
Registered: ‎14-01-2013

Re: Things I just realised..

I have used both those expressions frequently. Usually to denote a programme I've watched, a book I've read or even poor workmanship.

I wasn't aware of the origins though. Fascinating stuff. Thanks @Anonymous

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

[ Edited ]

@Glory1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

 

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

 

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 


I knew where pi$$ poor and doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in, came from though for the life of me I can't remember where I learned about it. I expect I read it in one of the many historical books I've read; fiction and non-fiction.

 

The meaning of words and phrases fascinate me. I find it interesting where the phrases and words we use regularly come from and that they often had a totally different meaning or usage a few hundred years ago.


Yeah I often find myself looking up things I haven’t heard before.. I remember having a hard time with ‘freeze the balls off a brass monkeys’ totally makes sense when you know what a monkey was..

 

That’s twice ‘Brass Monkey’ has come up in chat, & on topic too.. woohoo!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

[ Edited ]

Other stuff I learnt today...

 

Today in 1962.. The Beatles released their first single ‘Love Me Do’ and the James Bond flick Dr No had its premiere!

Highlighted
Posts: 74,513
Topics: 558
Registered: ‎04-01-2009

Re: Things I just realised..

I remember both though not necessarily on the same day. Bought the single (well my mum did!) and saw the film (though I'm not sure what year) I would have been 12 in 1962. How memories fade with the passing years though you always remember the first time you did certain things in your formative years wink

The first drink, the first cigarette etc etc. (get your minds outa the gutter)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..


@jonsie wrote:

I remember both though not necessarily on the same day. Bought the single (well my mum did!) and saw the film (though I'm not sure what year) I would have been 12 in 1962. How memories fade with the passing years though you always remember the first time you did certain things in your formative years wink

The first drink, the first cigarette etc etc. (get your minds outa the gutter)


RUDE.. you may not be pure as the driven snow.. but we are!!!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

[ Edited ]

Talking of minds in the gutter..

 

today I realised that..

 

herpetology - is the study of amphibians, from the Greek meaning ‘creeping animal’ or ‘reptile’

Highlighted
Posts: 10,294
Topics: 83
Blog Posts: 2
Registered: ‎22-08-2016

Re: Things I just realised..


@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I remember both though not necessarily on the same day. Bought the single (well my mum did!) and saw the film (though I'm not sure what year) I would have been 12 in 1962. How memories fade with the passing years though you always remember the first time you did certain things in your formative years wink

The first drink, the first cigarette etc etc. (get your minds outa the gutter)


RUDE.. you may not be pure as the driven snow.. but we are!!!


Speak for yourself @Anonymous. You may be pure as the driven snow, but I'm definitely not joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb


Highlighted
Posts: 78,569
Topics: 704
Registered: ‎14-01-2013

Re: Things I just realised..

Nor me...I'm a bit dirty and mud slushy....joy

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Posts: 10,294
Topics: 83
Blog Posts: 2
Registered: ‎22-08-2016

Re: Things I just realised..


@Cleoriff wrote:

Nor me...I'm a bit dirty and mud slushy....joy


Mmmm....................okay Confusedjoy




 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb


Highlighted
Posts: 78,569
Topics: 704
Registered: ‎14-01-2013

Re: Things I just realised..


@Glory1 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Nor me...I'm a bit dirty and mud slushy....joy


Mmmm....................okay Confusedjoy




The complete opposite to clean as driven snow...wink


 

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker