cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I just realised..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was in ASDA today & found out that you don’t need a quid / token to release the trolleys from each other.

How long has that been happening? Can you tell I’m a sad lonely single basket user....

Message 1 of 463
462 REPLIES 462

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have used both those expressions frequently. Usually to denote a programme I've watched, a book I've read or even poor workmanship.

I wasn't aware of the origins though. Fascinating stuff. Thanks @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 81 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 

I knew where pi$$ poor and doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in, came from though for the life of me I can't remember where I learned about it. I expect I read it in one of the many historical books I've read; fiction and non-fiction.

The meaning of words and phrases fascinate me. I find it interesting where the phrases and words we use regularly come from and that they often had a totally different meaning or usage a few hundred years ago.

Yeah I often find myself looking up things I haven’t heard before.. I remember having a hard time with ‘freeze the balls off a brass monkeys’ totally makes sense when you know what a monkey was..

That’s twice ‘Brass Monkey’ has come up in chat, & on topic too.. woohoo!

Message 82 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

Other stuff I learnt today...

Today in 1962.. The Beatles released their first single ‘Love Me Do’ and the James Bond flick Dr No had its premiere!

Message 83 of 463

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I remember both though not necessarily on the same day. Bought the single (well my mum did!) and saw the film (though I'm not sure what year) I would have been 12 in 1962. How memories fade with the passing years though you always remember the first time you did certain things in your formative years wink

The first drink, the first cigarette etc etc. (get your minds outa the gutter)

Message 84 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I remember both though not necessarily on the same day. Bought the single (well my mum did!) and saw the film (though I'm not sure what year) I would have been 12 in 1962. How memories fade with the passing years though you always remember the first time you did certain things in your formative years wink

RUDE.. you may not be pure as the driven snow.. but we are!!!

Message 85 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talking of minds in the gutter..

today I realised that..

herpetology - is the study of amphibians, from the Greek meaning ‘creeping animal’ or ‘reptile’

Message 86 of 463

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

RUDE.. you may not be pure as the driven snow.. but we are!!!

Speak for yourself @Anonymous. You may be pure as the driven snow, but I'm definitely not joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 87 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Nor me...I'm a bit dirty and mud slushy....joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 88 of 463

Glory1