Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Reply
Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

Today I realised that...

 

Mauritania is made up of 90% Sahara desert, 9.8% urban area but only 0.2% land suitable for farming.. wth

 

but it does have a 400+ mile railway spanning the desert. 

 

Another you tube documentary I watched HERE

Highlighted
Posts: 79,399
Topics: 707
Registered: ‎14-01-2013

Re: Things I just realised..


@Anonymous wrote:

Today I realised that...

 

Mauritania is made up of 90% Sahara desert, 9.8% urban area but only 0.2% land suitable for farming.. wth

 

but it does have a 400+ mile railway spanning the desert. 

 

Another you tube documentary I watched HERE


That's quite surreal actually. One minute showing pure desert with nomads and camels ....then suddenly  this massive train and railroad carrying iron ore to and from the foundry.

The coast was crammed with fishing boats and they showed one guy who travelled 500 miles to sell his catch which earned him 50USD!!

Certainly puts things into perspective. No such query about Wifi dropping out!!

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..


@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I realised that...

 

Mauritania is made up of 90% Sahara desert, 9.8% urban area but only 0.2% land suitable for farming.. wth

 

but it does have a 400+ mile railway spanning the desert. 

 

Another you tube documentary I watched HERE


That's quite surreal actually. One minute showing pure desert with nomads and camels ....then suddenly  this massive train and railroad carrying iron ore to and from the foundry.

The coast was crammed with fishing boats and they showed one guy who travelled 500 miles to sell his catch which earned him 50USD!!

Certainly puts things into perspective. No such query about Wifi dropping out!!


I’m not sure if the guy with the camels stopped for effect at the beginning but it’s exactly what I’d be doing if I saw that.

 

i just presumed that the desert was just that, deserted.

Highlighted
Posts: 75,380
Topics: 559
Registered: ‎04-01-2009

Re: Things I just realised..

Let me just ask on behalf of all those members wondering.....where do you find these mind-numbing facts and in an average day, just how long do you peruse YouTube.....?

Related image

Highlighted
Posts: 10,294
Topics: 83
Blog Posts: 2
Registered: ‎22-08-2016

Re: Things I just realised..


@jonsie wrote:

Let me just ask on behalf of all those members wondering.....where do you find these mind-numbing facts and in an average day, just how long do you peruse YouTube.....?

Related image


joyrofl

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb


Highlighted
Posts: 79,399
Topics: 707
Registered: ‎14-01-2013

Re: Things I just realised..

I quite like all these weird and wonderful 'things I just realised'

 

I sat through that whole video of the train in the Sahara Desert. Dance

 

Anyway, I have just realised the time. If I am to be up to watch P2 in F1 Japan.. I must away to bed. Set the alarm...set the alarm. Nite all sleeping

.

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Posts: 75,380
Topics: 559
Registered: ‎04-01-2009

Re: Things I just realised..


@Cleoriff wrote:

I quite like all these weird and wonderful 'things I just realised'

 

I sat through that whole video of the train in the Sahara Desert. Dance

 

Anyway, I have just realised the time. If I am to be up to watch P2 in F1 Japan.. I must away to bed. Set the alarm...set the alarm. Nite all sleeping

.


Or you could stay up and watch some more mindblowing videos.....

Guess not....ok g'night Den Happy Dance

Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

[ Edited ]

@jonsie wrote:

Let me just ask on behalf of all those members wondering.....where do you find these mind-numbing facts and in an average day, just how long do you peruse YouTube.....?

Related image


I don’t spend much time on you tube really. I subscribe to a few channels and some of these documentaries pop up as related content, others are just automatically recommended by YT.

        But most of them are from subjects I’ve heard about or talked about during the day. I’ll go look it up & click feeling lucky, or skip a few google pages and look what’s further down the list that others have missed.

 

I wasn’t a great student, but now I’m trying.. so when I do get some spare time.. My aim is to expand the body and mind! 

 

Also, not having a console, tv, pc & not being a reader of books.. you tube seems a great way to fill in the gaps.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Posts: 0

Re: Things I just realised..

[ Edited ]

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

 

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

 

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 

Highlighted
Posts: 10,294
Topics: 83
Blog Posts: 2
Registered: ‎22-08-2016

Re: Things I just realised..


@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

 

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

 

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 


I knew where pi$$ poor and doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in, came from though for the life of me I can't remember where I learned about it. I expect I read it in one of the many historical books I've read; fiction and non-fiction.

 

The meaning of words and phrases fascinate me. I find it interesting where the phrases and words we use regularly come from and that they often had a totally different meaning or usage a few hundred years ago.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb