cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I just realised..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was in ASDA today & found out that you don’t need a quid / token to release the trolleys from each other.

How long has that been happening? Can you tell I’m a sad lonely single basket user....

Message 1 of 463
462 REPLIES 462

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I realised that...

Mauritania is made up of 90% Sahara desert, 9.8% urban area but only 0.2% land suitable for farming.. wth

but it does have a 400+ mile railway spanning the desert. 

Another you tube documentary I watched HERE

Message 71 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I realised that...

Mauritania is made up of 90% Sahara desert, 9.8% urban area but only 0.2% land suitable for farming.. wth

That's quite surreal actually. One minute showing pure desert with nomads and camels ....then suddenly  this massive train and railroad carrying iron ore to and from the foundry.

The coast was crammed with fishing boats and they showed one guy who travelled 500 miles to sell his catch which earned him 50USD!!

Certainly puts things into perspective. No such query about Wifi dropping out!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 72 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I realised that...

That's quite surreal actually. One minute showing pure desert with nomads and camels ....then suddenly  this massive train and railroad carrying iron ore to and from the foundry.

The coast was crammed with fishing boats and they showed one guy who travelled 500 miles to sell his catch which earned him 50USD!!

Certainly puts things into perspective. No such query about Wifi dropping out!!

I’m not sure if the guy with the camels stopped for effect at the beginning but it’s exactly what I’d be doing if I saw that.

i just presumed that the desert was just that, deserted.

Message 73 of 463

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Let me just ask on behalf of all those members wondering.....where do you find these mind-numbing facts and in an average day, just how long do you peruse YouTube.....?

Related image

Message 74 of 463

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Let me just ask on behalf of all those members wondering.....where do you find these mind-numbing facts and in an average day, just how long do you peruse YouTube.....?

Related image

joyrofl

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 75 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I quite like all these weird and wonderful 'things I just realised'

I sat through that whole video of the train in the Sahara Desert. Dance

Anyway, I have just realised the time. If I am to be up to watch P2 in F1 Japan.. I must away to bed. Set the alarm...set the alarm. Nite all sleeping

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 76 of 463

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I quite like all these weird and wonderful 'things I just realised'

I sat through that whole video of the train in the Sahara Desert. Dance

Anyway, I have just realised the time. If I am to be up to watch P2 in F1 Japan.. I must away to bed. Set the alarm...set the alarm. Nite all sleeping

Or you could stay up and watch some more mindblowing videos.....

Guess not....ok g'night Den Happy Dance

Message 77 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Related image

I don’t spend much time on you tube really. I subscribe to a few channels and some of these documentaries pop up as related content, others are just automatically recommended by YT.

But most of them are from subjects I’ve heard about or talked about during the day. I’ll go look it up & click feeling lucky, or skip a few google pages and look what’s further down the list that others have missed.

I wasn’t a great student, but now I’m trying.. so when I do get some spare time.. My aim is to expand the body and mind! 

Also, not having a console, tv, pc & not being a reader of books.. you tube seems a great way to fill in the gaps.

Message 78 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 

Message 79 of 463

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and today... I realised that a few of my friends are confused when I say ‘pi$$ poor

Explanation.. They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were 'pi$$ poor.'

But worse than that were the really poor folks who couldn't even afford to buy a pot, or didn’t have ‘a pot to pi$$ in’ 

I knew where pi$$ poor and doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in, came from though for the life of me I can't remember where I learned about it. I expect I read it in one of the many historical books I've read; fiction and non-fiction.

The meaning of words and phrases fascinate me. I find it interesting where the phrases and words we use regularly come from and that they often had a totally different meaning or usage a few hundred years ago.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 80 of 463