cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I just realised..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was in ASDA today & found out that you don’t need a quid / token to release the trolleys from each other.

How long has that been happening? Can you tell I’m a sad lonely single basket user....

Message 1 of 463
462 REPLIES 462

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Was in ASDA today & found out that you don’t need a quid / token to release the trolleys from each other.

How long has that been happening? Can you tell I’m a sad lonely single basket user....

It's been ages now @Anonymous. They have designed the trollies to lock when you attempt to go past a certain strip on the exits of the car parks. wink

I could be wrong but I think the major supermarkets in my area are the same....except Lidl and Aldi

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 463

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I must admit that I didn't know. I dash around Asda on their free mobility scooters and I'm now quite the expert. I can drive those much better than I could drive motor bikes........

Message 3 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooo that’s a bit fancy @Cleoriff .. And yet I still see them parked outside my neighbours house and a few others taking in the riverside view! Lol

technology yet to be perfected I guess.

those bloody scooters @jonsie always clogging up the foyer.. so I can’t chain my bike up.. grrr

Message 4 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I suppose if people want them badly enough they will lift them over the locking strip @Anonymous

I do see the occasional one lying in the river when the drunken hooligans have finished with them.rage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do admit to drunken trolley racing a few years back.. had to pay a quid for the privilege tho..

I look forward to the next time when it’s free!

Message 6 of 463

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Ah, @Anonymous, it varies methinks: The big Tesco closest to us uses coins/tokens, t'other biggish Tesco about the same distance in the other direction from where we live lets you have a trolley without a token/pound/euro coin. innocent

Sainsbury and Lidl both demand a token of some sort... cowboy

However, Lidl's in-store wheely basket things are quite big enough for a casual shop.Happy Dance

No Asda nearby, can't say how they do it these days.Horrified

Message 7 of 463

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Another thing lost from our youth and one the kids will look at with total suprise when we tell them you used to find a supermarket trolley in the canal, side of the road, local builders site....and sometimes the odd trolley from another supermarket attempting to blend in with Tesco's fleet of wonky wheels.

Message 8 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgnI think Tesco are pretty much the same. The Superstore in the nearest town does require a coin or token but our local Tesco Express doesn't.

All I know is Asda did away with it a long time ago...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 463

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We had a couple of trolleys borrowed from the nearby Tesco in the workshop. When we hoisted the engines out of cars we lowered them into the trolleys so we could move them around. We had various wooden brackets to sit in them with cut-outs so that the engine sump could rest in the bracets. All done before they invented engine stands!

Message 10 of 463