Did you mean: 

The end of VHS

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

News in from Japan has confirmed that the last company manufacturing VCR's will stop production. Funai Electric has been producing VHS-playing VCRs for 33 years but have made the decision to no longer manufacturer the devices due to a drastic drop in demand. 

VHS won the famous "format wars" against BetaMax in the late 70's and 80's to become the standard in homes across the western world. Providing the ability to record and rewatch TV shows along with the handy option of popping down the rental shop to get the latest movies VHS changed the way we watched media for ever with the same versatility transferring to digital content today. 

VHS was not without it's problems though as anyone who spent the first 10 minutes of a film on their hands and knees can tell you. Then there was missing the first 20 minutes of a movie because someone forgot to hit record! I didn't know how the movie Aliens started for a good 5 years until I got my hands on the DVD version Smiley Very Happy

What do you guys think about this? Do you have any fond memories of VHS or do you say good riddance? 

Further reading

VHS .jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I collected tons of VHS cassettes & still have then somewhere. The last one I bought was in 2001 when they stopped selling them in the shops. It was the recently released expanded edition of Superman The Movie

Message 2 of 13

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Was Groundhog Day released on VHS?

#siwy
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123217 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

It doesn't matter what it was recorded on. My wedding was recorded back in 1967. It has now been copied over to DVD...as have videos of my kids growing up. It's finding someone who can do that. How lucky am I...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Super 8 by any chance? We've got loads of the film that really needs converting from film that we've been saying needs to be done for years. Somewhere I think we still have that cine camera it was shot on and the projector but that skill of setting it up is long forgotten now.

Ooooooh just remembered, I think we have an an 8-track* with carts hidden somewhere. Must dig that out and get it working! 

Message 5 of 13

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@browni wrote:

Was Groundhog Day released on VHS?

Thinking Fantastic 

(some will get it eventually)

Message 6 of 13

jonsie