Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Welcome to the Christmas Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

There is no selected contestant this week. Instead the White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thead.

TWELVE CHRISTMAS-RELATED QUESTIONS:

Q1 [people]: Where does the impression of Santa as a jolly, round bellied, man with a white beard and rosey cheeks come from?

Q2 [history]: When [from which year to which year] were Christmas celebrations banned in Britain?

Q3 [events]: What event is held annually on Christmas morning in Brighton, despite efforts by council to prevent it? 

Q4 [geography]: There are two Christmas Islands in the world. One is in the Indian Ocean - 400km [250 miles] south of the western end of Java. Where is the other?

Q5 [space]: Who delivered a Christmas message from space on Christmas morning 1968?

Q6 [nature]: Turkeys are said to have been introduced to Britain in the 1520, were eaten by Henry VIII at feasts in 1547, and later became popular as part of Christmas feast. But where did turkeys originate from?

Q7 [games]: What did the Victorian parlour game "Snap Dragon", which was played at Christmas, involve, which would probably make it prohibited today?

Q8 [words]: What item, traditionally displayed at Christmas, has the Latin name viscum album?

Q9 [literature]: How many ghosts visit Snooge in Dicken`s A Christmas Carol?

Q10 [music]: How many gifts - in total - did "my true love send to me", according to the song "Twelve Days Of Christmas"?

Q11 [TV sit-com]: In the TV sit-com Only Fools And Horses, screened on Christmas Day 1989, where did the Jolly Boys Outing coach trip go to?

Q12 [food and drink]: From the 14th century, frumenty [or frumety] was eaten at Christmas. What were the main ingredients of frumenty [frumety]?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 5 December 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 on Thursday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted on Friday morning 6 December 2019.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome. I hope as many members as possible join in and have a go at the answers by pming me, and wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Wednesday 1st January. Otherwise known as hangover of the year day rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo I'm still smiling at your 'Bearded bloke in pup' response to the origins of Father Christmas rofcgu

Message 42 of 42