Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Music Thread

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Is there an official thread for discussing music likes etc?  I couldn't find one so thought I'd start one off.

What is everyone's favourite music, bands etc?  I like loads of bands, mainly rock/metal, but also like 80s stuff.

My favourite bands currently are:

Metallica (all time faves)

Alter Bridge

Trivium

Black Stone Cherry

The Cadillac Three

Slipknot

Iron Maiden

Stone Sour

Blacktop Mojo

Royal Blood

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yeah loved it. I recorded the Brits so that I could fast forward through the ads and the boring bits. I particularly wanted to see Rag n Bone Man perform live. Just can't get enough of his music at the moment.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 21 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most overated - Coldplay

(They started out good but soon turned commercial to please the masses - ugh)

Message 22 of 69

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Glory1wrote:

I don't stream music tending to prefer downloading tracks to my phone. My favourite singers/groups are less modern, though I do like some of the new stuff. My faves are:

Queen

Anything at all they've recorded

The Eagles

Hotel California

Take It to the Limit

Hole in the World

Desperado

New Kid in Town

The Rolling Stones

Not Fade Away

Sympathy For the Devil

You Can't Always Get What You

Want

Brown Sugar

As Tears Go By

The Beatles

Day Tripper

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Paperback Writer

Ticket to Ride

David Bowie

Fame

The Man Who Sold the World

Under Pressure (with Queen)

Young Americans

Space Oddity

Elton John

Border Song

Captain Fantastic and the

Brown Dirt Cowboy

Indian Sunset

Levon

Candle in the Wind

My favourite album at the moment is Human by RagNBone Man. Just can't stop listening to it - I think he's fantastic.

Now that's my kind of play list @Glory1 🙌

Message 23 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Really @jonsie? You must have forgotten your favourite group of all time? ?

I'm sure in passing you mentioned The Who were simply the best  No matter ....it's late and you are probably going senile 😂😂😘

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 69

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Well I love the Who too @Cleoriff. Picking my 5 favourite groups/singers was not easy. I changed it about 4 times before posting. The Stones and the Beatles were in every list as they were my intro to British music while still in the States. It was the other 3 that kept changing. As my musical taste includes just about every genre, choosing only 5 was a flipping nightmare, not to mention choosing 5 of the chosen artist's songs. At one point I had 10 songs for Elton John, and it was a case of eeny meeny miney mo.....😂

Message 25 of 69

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I'm not sure you're wrong about going senile but I think I'm going blind too.

I think Elton would have to make way for The Who, yes definitely my all time favourites but there are so many I could add....

The Kinks, The Small Faces, Them, The Beach Boys, The Killers, Bowie, Dylan, Roy Orbison mm Travelling Wilburys etc.etc.

So impossible to have a top five. I was dragged up in the  60s and haven't even mentioned The Doors, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkle, The Animals, The Byrds,  Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Otis Redding, The Yardbirds, The Pretty Things, the list is never ending. 

The 70s brought Soul music, Meatloaf, Northern Soul, Neil Diamond and so I listen now to all kinds of music but it's all been downloaded or uploaded over the years from 45s , albums, CDs and even cassettes. I don't use Spotify or any other streaming sources, my collection is stored in so many clouds and apps as backup.

So when it comes to a top five it's just impossible I'm afraid. I have a top two of The Who and Queen but pick any three from the above and I wouldn't argue...

Message 26 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I totally agree. Picking top 5 groups  was a hard task, because as you say. when you have grown up to music of the 60's and have embraced every era since then, it's nigh impossible.

It probably would have been easier to name your top 100 songs.Fear

I missed out The Beatles, The Stones,The Kinks, Roy Orbison, Chris Farlowe, The Animals, Elvis, Rod Stewart etc etc etc.

In fact, I changed my mind so many times I gave myself a headache LOL

This is why we go on these 60's and 70's weekends away. There are so many groups still performing, albeit with a few new members. It reminds us of the good times and the great music

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 69

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsieand @Cleoriff you have between you named just about every group/artist whose tracks I have on my phone.

And thank you @Cleoriff because for some reason I forgot about The Animals. So just downloaded my 3 favourite tracks of theirs to add to my collection.

I could add to your lists Abba, Joe Tex, Cream, The Doobie Brothers, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Isaac Hayes, The Righteous Brothers, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, The Temptations, The Shangrilas, The Crystals, The Chiffons, The Ronettes (who were friends) and on and on the list goes.

I gave my top 5 but really I could have added so many more.

Message 28 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Glory1You were friends with the Ronettes? I take my hat off to you. Brilliant group The wonder of the Spector sound...

My favourite song of theirs..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Moody Blues

The Beatles

The Shaddows

Jack Jones

Frank Sinatra

Others like Bryan Addams ... Neil Diamond ... Michael Buble ...The Searchers ... The Tremeloes 

@Glory1 I remember Phil Spectre & his 'Wall of Sound' of which the Ronnettes were a good example of music

Message 30 of 69