Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Iceland Christmas Advert Banned

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Iceland produced an advert for Christmas, which was based on saving the rainforest

The commercial, made with Greenpeace, features an animated orangutan and highlights the destruction of the rainforest by palm oil growers.

The advertising clearance body, Clearcast, who screen broadcast adverts, deemed that the film breaks rules banning political advertising laid down by the 2003 Communications Act.

Earlier this year, Iceland became the first major UK supermarket to announce they are removing palm oil from all its own-brand products.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/watch-iceland-christmas-ad-banned/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2...

Political correctness gone mad?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Ban it?
Should've give them an award.

Too much need to wrap up people in blissful ignorance, show them the reality of the world.
Message 2 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Censorship. Totally wrong to ban it, but by banning it, it will now be seen by hundreds of millions on social media, and Iceland won't have to pay a penny for the advertising. Talk about something backfiring in their faces.....

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had I have seen that advert without a title I wouldn’t have classed it as a Christmas advert, but then I wouldn’t have said it was political either... more a statement on climate change.

Having said that, it’s bloody brilliant, (is that Dame Emma Thompson I hear?) & we should see more like it!

Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think you are absolutely right with that @Bambino. It's all over FB, Twitter and YouTube....

However, the reason for banning it shows a lack of interest in the future of our planet.

The voiceover was done by Emma Thompson. An actress with a superb reputation and a passion for conservation. She certainly wouldn't lend her voice to anything in poor taste.

I'm with @viridis, it deserves an award.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous.

I agree, it's not particularly 'christmassy'. It does get over a message which is just as important though.

In fact, it's probably more important to a lot of people...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous.

I agree, it's not particularly 'christmassy'. It does get over a message which is just as important though.

In fact, it's probably more important to a lot of people...

Spot on!

Message 7 of 26

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Superb advert and who knows what these small minded people will do next. I really don't know where this censorship will strike next. Hopefully they will now ban all party political broadcasts, fit a zip to Prince Charles's mouth and definitely ban the Queen's Christmas mumblings.

Message 8 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The World's gone mad!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 26

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

It's a great advert, not necessarily Christmassy but putting out a message far more important than selling turkeys.

And what's particularly political about saving our planet. Come on ASA get with the programme!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 26