cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technological advancements/inventions wish list!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of some cool gadgets and tech earlier today and had a thought about one that I think would be pretty cool if developed....

Here's a question for you: what kind of technological advancements (like new gadgets, devices or features to existing ones for example) would you put on your wish list for the future?

I want to see all kinds of ideas in this thread, even those that are very tiny fun ones, or big important ones that might seem impossible at this point in time. grin

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Insert "Star Trek" here and my wish list is complete, haha!

After the past couple of days horrific commutes (seriously, it's been taking me longer to travel 10 miles to work than it would normally to travel 100 miles to Birmingham) transporter technology would be amazing. grin

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 2 of 30

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Wa10 wrote:

Insert "Star Trek" here and my wish list is complete, haha!

After the past couple of days horrific commutes (seriously, it's been taking me longer to travel 10 miles to work than it would normally to travel 100 miles to Birmingham) transporter technology would be amazing. grin

Yes! A flying carpet would be nice. I'd like it to be comfortable in cold weather and rain as well: by pressing a button, it launches a 'dome' on top that prevents wind and rain and snow from coming through.

Unless you meant something more like a teleport? Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 30

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Wa10 Replicators would be at the top of my Star Trek wish list! 

Also one if these mech's to make the commute a bit more interesting Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 30

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

That sounds good, and much more comfortable than my old banger, haha.

Although yeah I was definitely thinking along the lines of a matter stream transport/teleport kinda thing. As otherwise, given half the change, I've no doubt at all that our local Council would have floating traffic wardens and floating pay and display machines up in no time...and no, I'm not feeling at all bitter about the parking ticket I've just had to pay!! Grr, lol. Plus, it would only be a matter of time before we had just as much congestion in the skies as we do on the road. 😞

@Martin-O2 Replicators, good shout! grin

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 5 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Transporter beam yes....maybe when I get there they rearrange me into a 25 year old Adonis....or worst yet I'll arrive as me....but flying home would take away the 24 hour journey in May....

Message 6 of 30

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Scotty, beam us up!

Energising!

Message 7 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

This reminds me to dig up our Star Trek thread as I have some updates on my Star Trek series marathon watching I want to post. tongue

Back to topic - What about when you go to the cinema and some of them (at least one that I've been to) has "moving" seats. Meaning that when in the movie you're in a first-person car ride for example, the seats rumble and move around accordingly in their rows. That exists, but I would like to add smells and other effects to this, e.g. wind, rain, and if in the movie they are in a forest, you would notice a faint forest smell for real in the background.

Message 9 of 30

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Something along the lines of a modern day Smell-O-Vision then @Marjo? I remember them trialling the concept wth "Scratch-N-Sniff" scratch cards that you scratched/sniffed whilst watching TV during the 90's, the one that sticks in my mind was with Noel Edmund's House Party! Obviously not a great implementation, but brilliant idea to add another dimension to viewing.

Ooh, a Star Trek thread? Fab! I was just thinking of starting one, as I'm a self confessed trekkie grin Off in search now, haha. 

Message 10 of 30