Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THURSDAY QUIZ 6 June 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the THURSDAY QUIZ for 6 June 2019.

This week`s subject is BRITISH HISTORY.

Your quest is to find:

the names of the English Monarchs from 827AD to 1154AD.

[to make it more of a challenge, I am not revealing how many names there were, but will say there are enough for all players to give two answers]

THE RULES: please note, there are a few changes to previous rules for the Thursday Quiz:

The Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

So whether you have joined in on previous Thursday Quiz, or you are a new member, or have never played before, you are all welcome to take part.

Each player will be allowed to submit two answers.

But, a player cannot post their second answer until after at least one other player has given an answer.

Players cannot give an answer already been given, and "I agree with ...." will no longer be allowed.

Players can give additional info [to earn credit if correct] but only to their own post, not other players`.

No googling, wiki, website, youtube, or similar search for the answers.

Each correct answer will be awarded trophy; additional info with be awarded credit; and each incorrect answer will get the * klaxon *.

The funniest comment or answer will get the special joy award.

The THURSDAY QUIZ opens at 9pm tonight [Wednesday 5 June], when the first answer can be given, and will stay open until 12 noon on Friday 7 June 2019.

Correct answers, additional info, and * klaxons* will be added up for each player; and the results and the winner[s] announced after 1pm on Friday; along with the winner of the special joy award.

Good luck.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Æthelred II, the Unready, 978 - 1013, and again a year later from 1014 until his death in 1016. Almost exactly 1000 years ago, folks!

Joke is his name meant "well-advised", and "unready" in those times meant the opposite, "ill-advised". They were 'avin a larf... LOL

Message 11 of 84

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn 

As you can't post again until someone else does, I will just add a bit of info on my first choice Edgar 1st the Peaceful. He was just 16 when he became King of England. He was crowned in Bath. His wife (whose name I have forgotten Lol) was also crowned, making her the the first Queen of England

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 84

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I can see how this is going to go.....
2 correct answers each + 2 credits each = everyone joint winners wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 84

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well.... I am sticking to the rules and simply giving @pgn  a chance to post again.

If 'we all win', who cares? If you add more info to yours and get more credits Rich, I won't give a damn. As everyone said before it's a bit of fun. The only difference is, it ain't a copyfest and certainly a much better format. tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 84

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ahh but is it 1 credit for all extra info or many credits for as much info as you can cram in slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 84

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Ahh but is it 1 credit for all extra info or many credits for as much info as you can cram in slight_smile

Who the hell knows? I'm not the quizmaster, though I am following the rules.

Go and ram in a bit more info on your two submissions and see. rofl

I could add a bit more to one of yours, but I'm not allowed to Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 84

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
CBA.....
Not fussed if or who wins actually just trying to understand the rules (as usual).....

Currently using:
Message 17 of 84

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

PS In all honesty I doubt it's loads of credits for 'as much info as you can ram in'.

Otherwise we would all be writing lengthy tomes (if we knew a lot) Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 84

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I am keeping away from this me and History are rubbish so off i go elsewhere slight_smile 

Message 19 of 84

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning guys.

An interesting and relevant discussion on credits @Cleoriffand @MI5 .

Credit is awarded for additional information given on each post, not for each piece of information given - otherwise, as @Cleoriff pointed out a post could be filled with info to score extra credits [for exmple, if I was playing and the subject was The Beatles, I could fill the whole forum with biographies to score 1000s of points]. The additional information should be relevant and apply to the answer to receive credit.

Thank you @Cleoriff for posting additional info to one of your answers. There is nothing wrong in that [although it does not get extra credit] but allows another player [in this case @pgn ] to give a second answer. This was how I intended the Thursday Quiz to run should this arise.

I hope that this helps clarify credits and thank you for bringing this to my attention slight_smile

@pgnAs mentioned, you can now submit your second answer.

Any other players who wish to join in may do so and have until 12 noon tomorrow [Friday] to give their answers.

I hope that everyone finds the new format fun, even though it maybe requires a little bit of thought to come up with the answers and additional information.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 20 of 84