Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2019

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

A little early to start this thread, although the new judge to replace Darcey Bussell has been announced

It's Motsi Mabuse (sister of Oti Mabusi)

Motsi Mabuse, elder sister of Strictly Come Dancing star Oti, has been named as Dame Darcey Bussell's replacement on the BBC One show's judging panel.

Originally from South Africa, Motsi is a former South African champion and German Latin champion and a judge on Strictly Come Dancing's German version.

Mabuse, 38, said she was "absolutely overjoyed" to be joining the panel and hoped to "add her own bit of sparkle".

Motsi Mabuse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49075803

I don't doubt her credentials at all but can't help wondering how this will work as Oti is still appearing on the show?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 252
251 REPLIES 251

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to say for me samba was the hardest of the Latin American dances to do when I was young ... I worked hard at it, but not to much effect

I can't see Anton and Emma doing a passable charleston

Message 211 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to say for me samba was the hardest of the Latin American dances to do when I was young ... I worked hard at it, but not to much effect

I can't see Anton and Emma doing a passable charleston

I agree Jane about Anton and Emma. I can't take to them at all. However I think the public love the fact that Anton has got this far and must be voting for him!

I heard elsewhere that Emma has appeared in the musical their dance came from!!.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 212 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

So. Musical Week

Firstly Claudia looked like a Christmas tree...what an awful dress.

Also the extra dancers get on my nerves (as usual)

Chris and Karen Foxtrot. Much as I loved their intepretation, there wasn't enough foxtrot in it. Scored 28

Alex and Neil: Samba. Again a good dance, though samba content was minimal! Scored 27

Kelvin and Oti: American Smooth. Absolutely superb. Loved every minute. Scored 39

Karim and Amy: Jive. Wow just wow. What a comeback. Didn't agree it was the best jive ever, that would be Jay and Aliona. Scored 40

Emma and Anton: Charleston. What a surprise, I didn't them to dance that as well as they did. Scored 39

So it looks as if it's Chris and Alex in the dance off. There again, who knows. Off to vote!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 213 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Mmmmm. Online voting down. Says I have had maximum votes and haven't voted once!!

Loads of people saying the same! What a con!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 214 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Must say the opening routine was a bit flat even with Craig doing his drag act. Then again, Claudia coming out in that er, dress wasn't as bad as Tess's Quality Street wrapper one. The MWWA really needs a better hobby and a pay rise. 

Chris: Fox-what? Oh the backing dancers helped him mask the actual dance. Well done Karen.

Alex: Said it earlier this week, poor tune and a rehash of her street commercial and less samba. Still better than Saffron. Sadly I'll also stick by my prediction of Alex v Chris with Chris likely winner.

Kelvin: Were we watching Strictly or something Straight Outta The West End? Campy and should confirm his rightful place in the final. 

Karim: I thought he made a couple of mistakes but what do I know! Agree with you @Cleoriff, not the best jive and behind Jay/Aliona and Ore/Joanne who had no backing dancers either and jived earlier in the series...

Emma: Theatre Jazz rehashed. Competent but yet wasn't impressed. Likely now to be the only female to make the final which could be Anton's swansong. 

To conclude: I hate this week. Its as bad as musicals and the worsening Halloween show. Backing dancers and DAO are the objects of annoyance tonight but yet, I suspect Indina Menzel may beat them to this weeks Musical Medocrity award.

Managed to vote online with no errors. Somebody must have turned it on and off again rofl

Message 215 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Yes eventually it worked. BBC apologised online for the glitch and extended voting till 9pm.

(Whether the votes register is another matter!!)

I gave all my votes to Kelvin as I thought if anyone deserved a 40 it was him.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 216 of 252

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope, Kelvin + Karim + Emma to be in the semi-final 

Chris + Alex to be the dance off

Don't like backing dancers

Agree @Cleoriff & @sheepdog definitive Jive is Jay and Aliona

I still want Kelvin and Oti to win this SCD series

Message 217 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Opening number with Beverley Knight was ok. The second singer, whoever she was, probably the worst on SCD ever.

Pleased Claudia mentioned the voting fiasco....and of course 'BBC decided there were enough votes for it to be valid'...rolling_eyes

So Chris and Karen and Alex and Neil in the dance off as expected.....

So I just realised how awful Alex and Neil's music was for a Samba!

A split vote, two for Alex (from Craig and Motsi).  Bruno and Shirley (with the casting vote) went for Chris and Karen. So Alex is out.

Next week, all couples have 2 dances each, so looking forward to that.

Apparently the star of the show on Sunday, is ballet dancer Carlos Acosta. Mmmmmmm.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 218 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I liked Beverly Knight and the opening routine. Pity I really hate that Cats tune but very well done considering the bar is pretty low this series. Indina Menzel screeched through a mediocre song (and really, "how do you count a year..." by telling us how many seconds there are????) thus confirming my predicition a few posts back. But just for comparison, you know which one is more memorable: 

Chris is out next week. There is no way can he pull off a convincing rhumba which lets face it its a rare thing for a male to do and do a ballroom. 

Message 219 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123456 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

So I think this is what each couple are doing?

Kelvin- Quickstep & Paso Doble
Karim- Argentine Tango & American Smooth
Emma- Cha Cha & Waltz (using up ALL their ballroom allocation now!!)
Chris- Viennese Waltz & Rhumba

I would pay good money to see Anton try the Argentine Tango!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 220 of 252