Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2019

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

A little early to start this thread, although the new judge to replace Darcey Bussell has been announced

It's Motsi Mabuse (sister of Oti Mabusi)

Motsi Mabuse, elder sister of Strictly Come Dancing star Oti, has been named as Dame Darcey Bussell's replacement on the BBC One show's judging panel.

Originally from South Africa, Motsi is a former South African champion and German Latin champion and a judge on Strictly Come Dancing's German version.

Mabuse, 38, said she was "absolutely overjoyed" to be joining the panel and hoped to "add her own bit of sparkle".

Motsi Mabuse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49075803

I don't doubt her credentials at all but can't help wondering how this will work as Oti is still appearing on the show?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 252
251 REPLIES 251

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Songs and Dances for the semi final

Chris Ramsey and Karen Hauer – Rumba to 'Don't Watch Me Cry' by Jorja Smith and Viennese Waltz to 'Somebody to Love' by Queen

Emma Barton and Anton du Beke – Cha Cha Cha to 'Hold My Hand' by Jess Glynne and Waltz to 'Gymnopédie No.1' by Erik Satie

Karim Zeroual and Amy Dowden – Argentine Tango to 'Libertango' by Bond and American Smooth to 'Sweet Caroline' by Neil Diamond

Kelvin Fletcher and Oti Mabuse – Paso Doble to 'Seven Nation Army' by The White Stripes and Quickstep to 'The Lady Is a Tramp' by Glee Cast

So we will see only the second AT of the series. Ridiculous.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 221 of 252

Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes you wonder who chooses the dances for the dancers each week ?

Not a fair playing field this series methinx

You are the community forum expert on Argentine Tango @Cleoriff I know how you like to see the couples attempt to do a decent AT

I have no knowledge of AT ... but ... love to watch it danced, it's an intriguing dance

Have Anton and Emma done AT ?

Message 222 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It makes you wonder who chooses the dances for the dancers each week ?

Not a fair playing field this series methinx

You are the community forum expert on Argentine Tango @Cleoriff I know how you like to see the couples attempt to do a decent AT

I have no knowledge of AT ... but ... love to watch it danced, it's an intriguing dance

Have Anton and Emma done AT ?

@Anonymous  no they haven't. I may be biased but they seem to be giving Anton dances which play to his strengths. It's as if they are determined he WILL be in the final. Apparently the producers choose the dances. Mmmmmmm. Thinking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 223 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Emma and Anton. Cha Cha Cha. Not a good interpretation. Quite a lot of leg issues(or leg placement as they called it. Overmarked in my opinion Scored 31 (I think Anton is playing his cards right, leaving the waltz till last. If in the dance off that will be their best dance )

Kelvin and Oti. Quickstep. Wow just wow. One of the best quicksteps I've seen on the show. Scored a well deserved 40. (Damn awful singing from the DA singers).

Chris and Karen. Viennese Waltz. Oh dear me. Not much to say other than the dance off beckons I think.

Scored 26 Maybe he can redeem himself with his 2nd dance.

Karim and Amy. Argentine Tango. It was good but not excellent. Looked a bit placed and he was concentrating and not connecting with Amy. Scored 36. The 10 from Motsi was ridiculous.

As they will be dancing again, I'm posting this now.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 224 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Emma and Anton: Waltz. A masterclass from Mr Ballroom. However Emma made a few mistakes and they were overmarked by Bruno. Scored 36

Kelvin and Oti. Paso Doble. Now I thought that was stunning. If I'm honest I think the judges were over nitpicking just because it was Kelvin. Scored 37. As I'm typing I think the judges are saving more 10's for Karim, (who has yet to dance) We will see!

Chris and Karen. Rumba. Quite poor but more deserving of the 4 he was given by Craig. Still dance off I fear. Scored 28.

Karim and Amy  American Smooth. Excellent dance. Bit of a problem with the lift. Something missing for me. Still scored two 10's

Total Score 38.

Someone made a point on the Strictly webpage that Motsi would give a 10 if you fell over. I tend to agree.

So top of the leaderboard is Kelvin, 2nd, Karim, Emma and at the bottom is Chris. Unless there is an absolute shock it should be Emma and Chris. Though Anton has a lot of supporters, so it could be a shock. A wait and see looms

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 225 of 252

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still there is gapping with Anton and Emma in ballroom

Karim didn't impress me tonight - ugly body posture

Kelvin and Oti to win the glitterball tropy

Chris and karen = forgettable

Chris and Karim in the dance off for me

Message 226 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Had to use iPlayer as I was out during the live show.....

For a brief second, I thought Tess might have an sensible gown. Like I said, a brief second rofl

Emma: If that was in the first few weeks, it would be acceptable. Regressive I'm afraid and overmarked. Second dance, I tuned out after 10 seconds as the piano was dull. Dance-off by default this week and 3rd place next week. 

Kelvin: two dances, no signs of a fatigue. That quickstep had so many wonderful things in it and well deserving of a full house. Paso as good as his usual standards though his pecs were rather distracting in that shirt. And the shame is that we're going to be denied seeing an AT from Kelvin since its going to be Judges choice, Show dance and Couples choice. Which er, ok I don't think we're going to be disappointed with any of those. 

Chris: 1st dance fell apart the longer it went on and second dance, at least he tried but a distinct lack of content and technique. Hardly surpring as its a rhumba.  As Craig said: wrong dance wrong day and you're going home. Shame really, he was still more entertaining than Emma. 

Karim: note to costume designers: Flowery trousers do not suit a man. And not in an AT. Considering Vincent Simone was behind this routine, it strangely wasn't as good as it should have been. American Smooth was good but highlighted his weakness in lifts and likely to cost him in the final.

No mention of the Mediocre Musical Act  or I may have missed the announcement. Either way, we have the Bargain Boy Band Basement Solo Act: Niall Horan. Someone from something called No One Direction who were a thing a few years back. Like you, I have no idea what tunes they did so Niall, as the bar is now at ground level, you have brought your own shovel or would you like to borrow my JCB Excavator?

But wait, there's been a reason for all these cheapo acts. For Final week they've actually gone and got Taylor Swift! Whilst I like TS we're likely to be subjected to some dirge from her latest album which is quite forgettable rather than a medley of her decent pop stuff that everyone knows and likes (well me anyway). 

Message 227 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

The only announcement I heard was we have some ballet dancer on tomorrow?

I must have missed the talk about Niall Horan. Thank god!

Seriously I do think the marking was all over the place tonight. On two occasions they pointed out mistakes which had been made and then they (Motsi) gave a 10. Quite silly. Bring back Darcey.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 228 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Firstly, we know Tess  has shares in bacofoil for every dress she has worn this series BUT what on earth was that monstrosity Motsi was wearing? Dress bad enough and to top it off she had a matching cap!!

I thought the opening number with Carlos Acosta was beautiful. Newsflash... I like that type of ballet. 

So, shock news...

Karim is the first one in the dance off. The public obviously do NOT like this lad which is a shame.

I think people are voting for Anton and not Emma and Anton.

RIght decision that Chris and Karen are in the dance off. I think we know the outcome of this. How nice of Chris to congratulate the others and make a joke about 'let's call it an early night as I'm against Karim' Bless him.

So Chris is out. Right result.

Next week, there are 3 dances for each couple  The couples choice, the judges choice and the showstopper.

Our votes alone will decide the winner.

And yes Taylor Swift is making an appearance. Can't wait. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 229 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff you said exactly what I thought about Bacofoil! I think Motsi can get away with wearing anything garish but did you notice the sheet wrap on Shirley? So lets congratulate the genius who put a staple gun to good use which was probably extremely last minute. 

No surprises about Chris though it would have been so much more fun to see him announced as the first finalist. Karim I was surprised but no doubt the BBC consipracy machine made sure the Anton makes the final for the last time. Not that I'll be voting for either one next week though. 

That ballet dancer Paso routine was excellent though he does need to work on his lifts as Katya looked more like a sack of potatoes. Seriously BBC, this is what we want from an opening routine when you bring in a guest dancer. 

Nial Horan: thankyou for being competent with a truly uninsipring tune that youtube alogrithims won't be recommending to me this millenium. You weren't playing the guitar but at least I could hear you. 

Next week, (cue bad puns) Taylor Swift better live up to her Reputation with Style as I have plenty of Blank Space to fill in about her performance... nerd

Message 230 of 252