Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2018

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

It's that time of year again folks.

From Monday August 13th they will start revealing the candidates for this years show. I understand the first one will be on that nights episode of the One Show.

Many names being bandied about and people are even putting bets on them? (A bit stupid when there's been nothing official yet)

Anyway names in the mix so far

Cheryl Cole (can't see that happening)

Ashley Roberts  (former Pussycat Doll)

Lee Ryan (from Blue)

Faye Tozer (from Steps)

Les Dennis

Tom Daley

Steph Mc Govern BBC Newscaster.

Dan Walker (Sports Presenter)

Colleen Rooney (can't see that as they have just upped sticks and moved to the US for Waynes football career)

Michelle Keegan (Corrie and Our Girl)

Mark Labbett (The Beast) from The Chase.

Kate Silverstone (BBC Newsreader)

That's all I've got so far and probably half of them are wrong but hey...joy

What is certain , the judging panel and the presenters remain the same.

Also the guy who will replace the lovely Brendon Cole is Neil Jones. He has been on the show as a back up dancer and is married to last years winning professional Katya Jones

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 576
575 REPLIES 575

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And Danny being a professional dancer.... seems a tad unfair

Remember this?

No, as I didn't watch Red Dwarf. joy

However, the argument from the SCD team would be that he never did any ballroom dancing. 

I agree through, the contestants never start on a level playing field. Ashley Roberts, was a member of Pussycat Dolls and they used to dance all the time...(as well as sing) wink

I agree with the SCD team. Yes Danny danced on Red Dwarf, which I didn't see either as I also never watched Red Dwarf. And yes Ashley Roberts danced as a member of the Pussycat Dolls. BUT neither, as far as I know, did any ballroom dancing. And it's that they should be judged on. Going by what I saw from the Red Dwatf clip Danny did a dance routine, totally different to ballroom dancing with a different dance discipline. And the same applies to Ashley Roberts who also did dance routines with the Pussycat Dolls, which would be more at home in a club than on the SCD dance floor. Doesn't mean either will be any good doing ballroom dancing. 

No it's not a level playing field as some of the contestants may never have danced before in their lives. But I will judge how well Danny and Ashley waltz, quick step, samba, rumba, salsa etc, if they get that far. And forget about any dance routines they may have done in the past.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 111 of 576

Anonymous
Not applicable

He was in a dance troupe in the West End, was in the original Starlight Express cast and danced in The Edge of Heaven video with George Michael!

He’ s trained, that makes it’s unfair in my eyes, and that’s why I don’t watch (that and I don’t have a tv) 🙂

Message 112 of 576

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

He was in a dance troupe in the West End, was in the original Starlight Express cast and danced in The Edge of Heaven video with George Michael!

He’ s trained, that makes it’s unfair in my eyes, and that’s why I don’t watch (that and I don’t have a tv) 🙂

Fair enough @Anonymous and I respect your opinion. I didn't know anything about Danny's dance background so thanks for that information.

But, I will still wait to see what he does on the ballroom floor. He may be very good or awful. Let's agree to disagree on your views smile

Message 113 of 576

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:..........and that’s why I don’t watch (that and I don’t have a tv) 🙂

That's a far better excuse than mine for not watching.....cowboy

Message 114 of 576

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I hope he is good... as I like him (in Death In Paradise)

Wasn't aware he had appeared in West End Musicals. However having watched a clip of him in training tonight, all I will say is, I hope he improves....upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 115 of 576

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fair enough @Anonymous and I respect your opinion. I didn't know anything about Danny's dance background so thanks for that information.

But, I will still wait to see what he does on the ballroom floor. He may be very good or awful. Let's agree to disagree on your views smile

You guys n gals are obviously SCD aficionados so you’ll get no arguments from me! 🙂 

LOL @jonsie saves a fortune in electric & tv licence fees!

Message 116 of 576

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 117 of 576

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Before watching X-Factor, I watched Strictly the Best and it brough back many happy memories and some unhappy ones when my favourite didn't win. And I got to see Jay's jive again - YES!!

That chap who won over Ryan (the 1st year I started watching SCD) said, and I agreed, Ryan was the better dancer. I always think Ryan should have won and thar he was truly robbed.

Anyway watching the show made me keen for the live shows starting next week bring it on yahooBouncy

Message 118 of 576

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Yes, It was very nostalgic. Of course they had to show Jay's jive it would have been incomplete without it

So many memories. Really funny to see the ex contestants there.

Chris Hollin's wife apparently said I don't mind you doing it as long as you don't get paired with someone sexy. He got Ola. joy

Mark and Karens jive where her mic wire got tangled up and wrapped round Mark and he begged to do it again

Bruce allowed them to start again and they smashed it

I loved seeing Anne Widdicombe and her efforts at dancing. I thought it weird they failed to show John Sergeant and Khristina's Paso....(which may go down in history as the worst ever)

Just looking forward to next weekend now Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 119 of 576

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Ok, we all know SCD starts for real this weekend

Here's a list of dances and music for each couple

• Ashley & Pasha: Viennese Waltz to Perfect by Ed Sheeran featuring Beyoncé
  • Charles & Karen: Cha Cha Cha to Ain't No Love (Ain't Not Use) by Sub Sub featuring Melanie Williams
  • Danny & Amy: Foxtrot to Top Cat Theme by Hoyt Curtin
  • Dr Ranj & Janette: Cha Cha Cha to How Will I Know by Whitney Houston
  • Faye & Giovanni: Cha Cha Cha to Lullaby by Sigala featuring Paloma Faith
  • Graeme & Oti: Samba to Soul Limbo by Booker T and The M.G.'s
  • Joe & Dianne: Jive to Take On Me by A-Ha
  • Kate & Aljaž: Cha Cha Cha to Kiss by Tom Jones
  • Katie & Gorka: Waltz to When We Were Young by Adele
  • Lauren & AJ: Waltz to I'm Kissing You by Des'ree
  • Lee & Nadiya: Waltz to Take It To The Limit by The Eagles
  • Seann & Katya: Tango to SexyBack by Justin Timberlake
  • Stacey & Kevin: Quickstep to Dancing by Kylie Minogue
  • Susannah & Anton: Samba to Tico Tico by Carmen Miranda
  • Vick & Graziano: Jive to Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man

So 4 doing the Cha Cha, 2 doing Jives, 3 are dancing the Waltz,  2 Samba's, 1 Foxtrot, 1 Tango, 1 Viennese Waltz and 1 Quickstep.

Surprised to see so many doing the Cha Cha in the opening week and Seann dancing the Tango? Fear

Should be very interesting! cool

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 120 of 576