Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santa Fe High School: 'Multiple fatalities' reported in shooting

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

Multiple fatalities are being reported in a shooting at a Texas high school, which is on lockdown.

Yet again..... When will this stop!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44173954

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6979 Solutions

Sad thing is that he is completely right, prayers and sad anecdotes about tightening up gun laws but nothing will be done by the same sycophants spewing out the same regrets after every mass shooting.

Just another day in America folks!

Message 21 of 29

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I am no expert but the arguments are just ridiculous.

According to one report there have now been 101 mass shootings (where 4 or more people are shot in the same area and time) in 2018.

In 2017 there were 346.

I think I posted these last time this happened, but just in case I forgot, here are Jim Jeffries and Russell Howard's views on the matter.

Warning: Both clips contain language/content that some may find offensive.

Jim Part 1:

Jim Part 2:

Russell:

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 22 of 29

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Nice one @gmarkj. Both comedians, though they joke are also getting across an important message 'guns kill'. Yes people pull the trigger but guns kill.

And as I've said nothing will change in America until Americans lose the 'right to bear arms' mentality. What the 2nd Amendment meant back in the 18th century is totally irrelevant today. America is not at war with the British, the west is no longer wild nor are 'Indians' on the warpath'. So why do you need a gun for protection. Americans are more likely to kill a member of their own family or themselves than an intruder. Sheer madness. It may surprise you to know as an American I've never owned or fired a gun and I'm very proud of that fact!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 23 of 29

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
The part I like the most (and I like all of both of them) is the part where Jim talks about why the 2nd amendment was introduced, and how ludicrous that logic is now.
Imagine facing down a tank/drone/ballistic missile with a hand gun?
The closest I have come is playing paintball, and that is still and order of magnitude away!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 24 of 29

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6979 Solutions

Good for you @Glory1 but it would seem you are part of a growing trend of people against guns.

Apparantly there are approximately 90-100 guns per 100 people in America, almost one gun per person. Howver it is estimated that 3% of the population own 50% of the weapons.

Around a third of Americans have never fired a gun though there is at least one firearm per family.

Incidents of mass shootings are inevitable when people are offended by the slightest unintentional slur be it on social media sites or on campus

Source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Message 25 of 29

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@jonsie I've always been anti-guns as I know the damage they can do and the lives they can ruin. We didn't have the mass shootings of today when I was growing up in New York but there were still enough gun deaths reported to put me off guns for life.

And, of course, we didn't have social media back then with trolls spreading their vitriol for amusement. The statistics you quote are frightening and make me doubly glad I live here.

And, yes, @gmarkj I agree with the points Jim made about the 2nd Amendment and its ludicrousness in the modern world. Exactly my point made above. Shame the NRA can't see that, though. If they had their way every American would own at least one gun. And I have to ask these idiots, who needs an assault rifle for God's sake. And exactly who do those with them need protection from? Truly frightening.

Message 26 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Nice one @gmarkj. Both comedians, though they joke are also getting across an important message 'guns kill'. Yes people pull the trigger but guns kill.

And as I've said nothing will change in America until Americans lose the 'right to bear arms' mentality. What the 2nd Amendment meant back in the 18th century is totally irrelevant today. America is not at war with the British, the west is no longer wild nor are 'Indians' on the warpath'. So why do you need a gun for protection. Americans are more likely to kill a member of their own family or themselves than an intruder. Sheer madness. It may surprise you to know as an American I've never owned or fired a gun and I'm very proud of that fact!

As someone who was born in the US @Glory1 (as was @Bambino)  you both will know more than any of us armchair critics about the American Constitution, the 2nd Amendment and the Bill Of Rights....So I commend you both for your posts and input into this thread.

A special shout out to @gmarkj for providing the videos. I hadn't seen them. Very interesting viewing..

Personally I despair of it all. I can't see an end in sight.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 29

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thank you @Cleoriff much appreciated 😉👍

Message 28 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Until the power of the NRA is curtailed (and the US stops electing idiots like Trump who'll back any cause that will give them money) this is lilely to keep happening but is not a new thing.

Al Yankovic released a satirical record about America's love affair with the gun back in 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6avab0fIY

Message 29 of 29