Did you mean: 

Robert Rauschenberg goat and other art oddities

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

The Tate Modern will be displaying a series of works by the American artist Robert Rauschenberg which will include sculpture's made from 1970's shredded wheat boxes or his "white paintings" which are only complete when the viewer casts a shadow on them. 

One of the more unusual works that will be displayed is a stuffed goat with an old car tyre tied around it's back. It's quite unusual but interesting to look at. 

Goat.jpg

Whilst I would consider the goat sculpture art I'm not so sure about some of the other things that are put forward as modern art, especially some of the Turner Prize entries like the big blob of blu tack on the wall or the room with flickering lights! 

What do you guys think about modern art? Is it people making a fuss over nothing or is there genuinely some creativity in these modern art works? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
500 years after the renaissance we look upon the art and take in the intricacies of these masterpiece works....
In 500 years time, humanity will look back and think Damien Hurst was a manager at the local dump and Robert Rauschenberg was some weirdo that collected roadkill.
Its crap, we all know it's crap and it always will be crap, the only people who don't think it's crap are freaks with too much money and no common sense, who like to tell people how much they paid for a plastic bag tied to a stuffed hippo anus
Message 2 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Google "homers bbq pit"
Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Personally... I always think 'art' of this nature is a cop out for people who have limited talent, an immense ego and just want to shock.(and have their 5 minutes of fame).....

Robert Rauschenberger and his 'White Paintings'....mmmmmm....don't make me laugh Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Is that a taxidermy goat ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

Is that a taxidermy goat ?

Well it does say it's stuffed....Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
So he bought a stuffed goat and put a tyre around it and called it "Art".......what a stupid name for a goat.
Message 7 of 18

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

From his website :

" A term coined by Rauschenberg, Combines merged aspects of painting and sculpture to become an entirely new artistic category. Art critic Leo Steinberg observed that the orientation of the Combines challenged the traditional concept of the picture plane as an extension of the viewers space, providing a window into another reality. Instead, Steinberg argued, a Combine is like a tabletop or bulletin board—a “receptor surface on which objects are scattered, on which data is entered.” "

Yes.....of course it is...now put these jackets back on and let me lock you up for the night.

http://www.rauschenbergfoundation.org/art/art-in-context/monogram

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

It isn't Art as we know it ... but it is what 'Art' has become 

Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

From his website :

" A term coined by Rauschenberg, Combines merged aspects of painting and sculpture to become an entirely new artistic category. Art critic Leo Steinberg observed that the orientation of the Combines challenged the traditional concept of the picture plane as an extension of the viewers space, providing a window into another reality. Instead, Steinberg argued, a Combine is like a tabletop or bulletin board—a “receptor surface on which objects are scattered, on which data is entered.” "

Yes.....of course it is...now put these jackets back on and let me lock you up for the night.

http://www.rauschenbergfoundation.org/art/art-in-context/monogram

And take your stuffed goat with you....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18