cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refused Credit Excellent Credit History

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to post the email that ice just sent to O2 and carphone warehouse. If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful! Thank you!!:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please could someone call me about an urgent issue.

I have been refused an o2 pay monthly iphone 5 contract For £27 a month plus an upfront £99 charge for the iPhone 5 at carphone warehouse in Bluewater today for no good reason. I have an excellent credit history and have never missed a payment. I have credit cards that I pay the balance off monthly and have had no problems opening credit accounts. I have recently moved but I have six years history at my previous address and have never had any problems.

I called my bank and they said my history is excellent and I am considered low risk and could not understand why I was treated in this way.

I currently use an O2 business phone, but this is a company phone and I will be giving it back in the next few days as I am moving jobs and need to open a personal O2 account with an iPhone 5 Urgently.

I am disgusted how I have been treated by O2. No explanation was offered as to why my credit application was refused and as a person who prides herself on managing her finances impeccably, I was embarrassed to be refused a contract for a measly £27 a month. I do believe that it is my right according to the data protection act to know why my credit application has been refused.

Is it because I work part-time? I still have a £30k a year income but that question was not asked!

Please could somebody look into this and contact me as soon as possible.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Annoyed

I have been with 02 for a long time now and I have had both contract and pay and go during that time.  More recently I was on the Simplicty 12 month tarrif which was due to terminate this month.  However, I lost my job this month slight_frown  Despite that, the staff said I would have no problem upgrading if I wanted to when I enquired if I would pass the credit check.  Therefore I would say part of the problem is you were a new customer to 02 - have you tried your existing provider?

Or get a pay and go phone like me!  Smiley Very Happy  Not sure, but maybe this is like having a "high rate credit card" to rebuild your credit rating and establish yourself as an O2 customer.  Perhaps if you call O2 Pay and Go customer service they could advise you - I found both teams very helpful when I swapped this month though it doesn't sound like Pay and Go is the right solution for you from what you have said.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all, thanks for responses! Have just got to the bottom of it. Just got my equifax credit Report and sure enough have excellent score - even though I sent the application form back and got a receipt I am not shown up as being on the electoral role at my new house. The council is going to get a major rollicking in the morning! Am so cross with them!

Thanks again for all your advice! Xx
Message 12 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144099 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Unfortunately that is grounds for an automatic refusal from O2 regardless of anything else, but at least you know why now....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was worth signing up online just to check then I assume.

Glad you have got to the bottom of it.
Message 14 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Dear all, thanks for responses! Have just got to the bottom of it. Just got my equifax credit Report and sure enough have excellent score - even though I sent the application form back and got a receipt I am not shown up as being on the electoral role at my new house. The council is going to get a major rollicking in the morning! Am so cross with them!

Thanks again for all your advice! Xx

Hi Annoyed 77

I did not write too much about credit as the others had already covered it but from recollection it takes 12 months to get on the electoral role and I think they update it once a year but I am not 100% sure.  Maybe Equifax or Experian could help with this and advise you at the same time if there is a way around the problem if the council cannot help you.  I presume from the Xx you are a woman - I was lucky my father handled all of this for me when I got divorced so I've learnt a few useful facts today myself (not least of all about the name change - something my father overlooked).

Hope you stay with O2 - I could do with more women round here to help me keep these men in line! 

Message 15 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144099 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hope you stay with O2 - I could do with more women round here to help me keep these men in line! 

Ahem.... Smiley Indifferent

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey I'm a good boy

Honest Miss !!!
Message 17 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is wrong MI5?
Message 18 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ahem.... Smiley Indifferent

No - forget my last 2 posts I am not getting myself into any bother tonight (you too Band of Brothers!)  Smiley LOL Smiley Embarassed

Message 19 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been refused credit by O2 though I have an account with them already! I was trying to buy a phone contract for my children for Christmas.

Again I have checked my credit report from Experian and it is completey faultless.

I asked my husband to try on his account and he was also refused! He again has a fauyltless credit record and earns a huge salary!

They need to review their contract with Experian as they are getting dodgy and incorrect credit scores from them.

Message 20 of 25