Pets during the festive period

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hey guys,

How many of you have pets at home? slight_smile With Christmas approaching it's important to think about our pets too. Not just for what you're going to get them as presents gift but to also make sure that they are comfortable and safe during the festive season which can get a bit hectic at times. hugging

Treats:

Will you be giving your pets some delicious treats over Christmas? My cats will (shhh don't tell them yet!) get a little bit of boiled egg which is their ultimate favourite. grin

Many festive foods are unfortunately toxic to pets though - you can check out an RSPCA article about what is safe and what is not safe for cats and dogs on Christmas here.

Decorations:

Is your pet interested in the decorations you put up for Christmas? grin My cat back in the day always jumped into the tree and made it fall down until we realised to secure it by tying it with a piece of string to the curtain rail. She still jumped in the tree though, but at least it didn't fall down. All the tree hangings had to be safe (i.e. no chocolate or glass ornaments). Are you putting up any decorations just for your pets to enjoy and play with? grin

Atmosphere:

It can be stressful to pets when loads of people might visit over a few days, routines change, and loud music might be on. RSPCA also has some tips on keeping pets feeling calm during Christmas, see here. slight_smile

Presents:

Most of us are probably giving something to our loved ones for Christmas, be it a greeting card or even a present. Do you normally give anything to your pets too, apart from possible treats? I normally wrap a bunch of toy mice for my cats into a little parcel for them, although I often end up unwrapping it myself as they don't understand what it is. joy For my previous cat my parents used to wrap a few pieces of shrimp in tin foil and place it under the Christmas tree.

Cat and presents

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @Anonymous  He's a right cheeky robin.  Flies around outside the window if you don't notice him at first LOL

Thanks

Steve
Message 11 of 15

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I've always wanted a garden with birds, but having always lived in a flat above ground I've not been able to. Lovely picture of the bird @welshsteve76 slight_smile

@smh1982 one of my cats, Drake, likes to chew plastic, especially plastic bags (which I always have to hide well) and all kinds of wrappings from things I buy that are made of soft plastic. grimacing I'm getting very good at remembering to unwrap everything immediately and not leave plastic lying around, although sometimes he just finds stuff I didn't realise I had, chews on it and pukes. nauseated_face

My other cat Arthur also likes cheese! cheese

@gmarkj you mentioned non-alcoholic rose - I actually saw cat and dog beer and wine at a pet store some time ago. sweat_smile Perfect for those lonely nights you want to have a glass of red but no one to enjoy it with... grin It's made of natural things like (if I remember correctly) elderflower extracts etc.

Message 12 of 15

smh1982
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Aww @smh1982 such a lovely black cat! Cat Happy

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smh1982 wrote:

Pepper waiting for his battered chicken burger

What a lovely photo of your cat Cat @smh1982

I just have a thing for black cats ... my previous cat Wispa was black ... my Marty is ginger / white

Marty & me share a take-away cheeseburger LOL I usually get all of the bread bap if I'm lucky

Message 15 of 15