Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Level 15: Gaining a Reputation

Re: O2 and 3 lag behind

It was inevitable that any company involved in the selling of 5G services to consumers was always going to cash in on the hype, just as they did with 3G and 4G.  It really isn't worth the charge unless you are a heavy data user who streams movies etc all the time.  As long as 4G remains at current speeds, and I am still able to use public O2 wifi etc, then I don't personally need it.  My phone is on wifi 90% of the time anyway.

Thanks

Steve

But then again what's to say o2 are quietly added the 5g stuff and when it comes time to turn onno2 will have more places activated lol

Ye I fell for the 4g hype and didn't get it till it had been 3 years lol
Topics: 100
Ideas: 2

Never mind 5G, "Where's RCS when y'need it?" disappointed

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.
Topics: 547

Community Manager

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know we've shared some more news around 5G here this morning Smiley Happy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
iPhone 11 megathread! - Find out the latest info on the i Phone 11!
Priority gig tickets calendar - Check out the latest tickets available on Priority!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Thanks @EmilieT 

I'll be waiting until all the fuss over it has died down and the over-priced phones and tariffs come down too wink

Thanks

Steve
Level 5: Ponderer

@EmilieT   can you confirm if the S10G , or any of the new 5g devices, will be sold unlocked?

Great to hear about the rollout. With Three UK posting that they won't be charging any more than at present, the bar has been set. Let's see if O2 can be competitive with the sub £20 a month unlimited. 

O2 Social Media Team

@BOSSGOGG wrote:

@EmilieT   can you confirm if the S10G , or any of the new 5g devices, will be sold unlocked?

Hey @BOSSGOGG 

Most devices sold through O2 are no longer network locked, and almost almost all new devices sold since Jan 2019 are now unlocked. The only real exceptions are Alcatel & Doro. More unlock info here.

That being said, the current info I have is that the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G & Xiaomi Mix 3 5G will both be network unlocked when they arrive.

CommunitySig_Animated_2.gif

Level 8: Talented

[ Edited ]

@Chris_K 

Will this include those on PAYG or are you rolling out on the pay monthly billing platform first?

Am probably going to see what HMD come out with myself but will probably buy SIM free again but have been really impressed with the Nokia 5.

Current tech used:
Nokia 5 on giffgaff, Core i7 9700F PC with Win 10 Pro. Apple Mac Mini late 2014 with Core i5 running 10.15
Home Internet Connection: Zen Internet Fibre To The Premises Full Fibre 1 38 Mbps Down/9 Mbps up,
I don't work for O2 but have an interest in networks (including mobile) and IT (which is how I earn my living)